Q. What can be the reason for raised liver enzymes during fever?

Answered by Dr. Sadaf Mustafa and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Raised Liver Enzymes or Acetaminophen? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

The issue is from 39 years ago. When I was 13 years old, I was considered for the possibility of poisoning. I was admitted to hospital for 8 days and the diagnoses were cervical adenitis and viral syndrome. I had a fever of 103 degrees for several days before going to hospital. My throat culture grew Strep. On admission to hospital, CBC showed WBC 12,900 (normal range), Hb 13.2, Hct 38.7, 36 lymphocytes, 9 monocytes, 7 eosinophils and the platelets were adequate. The almond size lymph node on the left cervical chain and the right side lymph was golf ball size. The neck was supple, no rigidity and some restriction of movement. There is no mass or thyroid palpable. The rest of the physical examination is within normal limits. Total bilirubin 0.4, ALT or SGPT was 714 initially and on discharge it was 215. SGOT or AST was 426 initially and 202 on discharge. LDH was 297 and then 217 on the day of discharge and albumin 3.8.  I am trying to figure out why my liver enzymes were so high initially and 8 days later they came down. I was treated with Keflex IV antibiotic, which cured the infection. Mono spot was negative. Urine and blood cultures are negative. From what I read, the liver cause could be toxic. But, at the of 13, I neither drink, nor had hepatitis.