Q. I am pregnant and having severe body itching. What is the treatment?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am currently 26 weeks pregnant. I have developed severe itching all over my body, particularly in palms and soles of feet. I initially did not take it serious and kept applying coconut oil, Lacto calamine, etc., to get some relief. However, I did not get any relief from any of these. Then I got my liver function as well as total bile acid test done and result is as follows. AST 199 (normal range up to 32), ALT 234 (normal range up to 55) and total bile acid 52 (normal up to 10). I showed this to my current doctor as well and she said this is common and does not seem to be concerned too much. She prescribed me Atarax 25 mg once in night for 10 days and Lacto calamine for external use. Could you please guide me whether this is a concern and need to be taken care urgently? Or should I continue with what my doctor has prescribed me?

#

You have raised liver enzymes. This indicates that you have a condition called obstetric cholestasis (bile acid accumulation in blood resulting in constant ithcing during third trimester of pregnancy).

It needs proper treatment and you need to get LFT - liver function tests repeatedly for every two to three weeks till it gets controlled.

If left untreated, then it can even harm the baby. It can result in many complications like early labor, fetal distress, etc.

Please visit your doctor immediately for prescription of Ursodeoxycholic acid.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I have visited a clinic to get second opinion from another doctor on my case and the gynecologist suggested to repeat LFT and total bile acid test once again and based on the result he said he will prescribe Udiliv to me. If my AST, ALT and total bile acid (serum) are still elevated, would Udiliv be the right medicine for me? Could you please confirm me whether taking Udiliv is safe during pregnancy and elevated liver enzymes can be controlled with this medicine? I have already stopped taking Atarax. Could you please tell me whether there is any natural way like food, diet, lifestyle etc., to keep a check on LFT and bile acid?

#

• Yes, your doctor is absolutely right.
  • Udiliv is the medicine of choice in your case, which is Ursodeoxycholic acid.
  • I am sorry to say that there are no home remedies as such to decrease the liver enzymes. Hope you get well soon.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|