iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersRheumatologyrheumatoid arthritisI have rheumatoid arthritis with severe pain in my joints. Kindly help.

What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis pain?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At September 2, 2020
Reviewed AtApril 19, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for the past four years and it was diagnosed six months ago. I feel excruciating pain in my lower and upper limb joints and I am not feeling relief even after taking NSAIDs. I was given steroids and penicillin, and it did not work properly. The pain is mostly in the knee, hip, elbow, and shoulder joints.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

A diagnosed case of rheumatoid arthritis on biological agent, still having pain needs to evaluated in detail. Pain can originate from muscle, nerves, or joints. The odd point is diarrhea for a month and it needs to be evaluated. It can be due to drug-related or disease-related diarrhea.

As per your information, you are having RA for the past four years. Your present complaint is excruciating pain in the upper and lower limb (duration is not mentioned). You tried painkillers, steroids, and antibiotics (the reason is not clear). Joint pain if related to RA usually responds well with painkillers like Etoricoxib, Naproxen, etc. If not fully then partially. It seems like your pain may be related to muscle origin or nerve-related which is very common in a patient with RA and hypothyroidism. You may have fibromyalgia, or nerve-compression symptoms which need to be evaluated by proper history and examination. It may be refractory RA. For chronic neuropathic pain or fibromyalgia pain, you can try Pregabalin and Duloxetine. And others after consultation and evaluation. Check the following-

1. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) and CRP (C-reactive protein) for RA-related pain.

2. LFT (liver function test), KFT (kidney function test), sugar (fasting), and thyroid profile for assessment of the origin of pain.

I hope this helps.

Patient's Query

Thank you doctor,

What dose should I take? And do I need any treatment for arthritis.


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

You can try capsule Pregabalin 75 mg daily at bedtime. But the best thing for you is to meet a rheumatologist personally for detailed evaluation for its exact cause of it.

I hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar
Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy