Q. What causes red spots after cleaning penis?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya

I had smegma since 1.5 years which resulted into balanitis (that is what I think as per symptoms like difficulties in pulling foreskin, cuts, pain, rash swelling, etc.) and recently I applied Candid cream (non steroidal) twice a day for 10 days and smegma seems to be gone and also balanitis seems to be fine. But my foreskin and glans still becomes red and I can see small red spots after rubbing penis to clean. Also just saw a blister at the opening of urethra (it is little inside and need to spread the opening to see it). What could be the reason?

#

Can you tell me if there is any burning, pain, discharge, itching or difficulty in passing urine? Are you able to retract your foreskin up completely? Is there history of sexual exposure? Are you married? When we rub on penis head or foreskin, it can become red as the skin is very thin and sensitive. The skin lining the urethral opening is usually pink or red. Sometimes what we think is a blister may be normal mucosal skin. If there is a blister or ulcer, see your doctor or a urologist. Let me know answers to the above questions.

| 

There is mild pain sometimes, 3 days back there was severe burning while urinating at night around 3 AM, after that sometimes it burns (but very rare and mild) while passing urine, other than that no difficulties in passing urine as such. I can retract foreskin completely. Yes, I am married. Unable to identify whether it is blister or ulcer or mucosal. Can I send you pictures to identify the same?

#

Yes, you may send pictures.

| 

I think there is some change in looks after 1.5 years of suffering (smegma / balanitis) and after treating with candid cream, it is full of wrinkles. Also please let me know what is the brown spot on top of the glans, unable to figure out. Please suggest if every thing is normal or do I still need treatment. I was unable to take picture of blisters or mucosal as it is little inside. But anyways please suggest regarding above.

#

From the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it seems there is no active lesion, there is wrinkling possibly due to dryness, you can use moisturising cream like nivea once daily for some time. The brown spot is just pigmentation in the skin. We only have to watch for any change in color, size or thickness of the brown spot, maybe once in 2-3 months.

No treatment is needed at present unless the lesions recur or burning in urine occurs. Sometimes when urine is very concentrated, it may burn just a wee bit, like when we come back after exercise or outdoor activity and have not taken enough fluids.

| 

Thank you for your reply, sorry to bother you again. I found some red spots on glans on foreskin which was not visible day before yesterday when I sent you previous pictures. Please suggest what it is and do I need to be concerned. Do I need treat both issues or it will subside with time?

#

Sudden onset of skin redness seems more like allergic or post-rubbing in already thin skin. I would still go for moisturising cream. For the tip ulcer, you can take capsule Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 14 days. Let me know the results.

| 

Ways to Prevent Skin Pigmentation Disorders

Article Overview: Human skin color is due to melanin present in the skin, which is a brown color pigment present inside melanocytes. Different races have different amounts of pigment in them. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

Human skin color is due to melanin present in the skin, which is a brown color pigment present inside melanocytes. Different races have different amounts of pigment in them. Apart from melanin, other substances like carotene and hemoglobin also impart color to the skin. According to the skin color, ...  Read Article

Can I use Calamine lotion for hyperpigmentation?

Query: Hi doctor, The forehead portion above my eyes and the portion of face around eyes became black around four years ago. Please find the photo of my face attached here. I never took any medicine. For the last four months, I am taking some natural remedies such as turmeric, aloevera, etc. Please sugge...  Read Full »

What is the reason for red meatus and burning sensation during urination?

Query: Hi doctor, My meatus is red and has a small spot on one side. There is a constant burning sensation when I urinate. I am frequently urinating in small amounts. Recently, I had a DRE, and they told me that my prostate is enlarged. I have a foul smell from my penis. I never had this problem before. I...  Read Full »