Balanitis is the swelling of the glans (head) of the penis. It is usually caused by infection and poor hygiene, especially in uncircumcised males. Symptoms include redness, swelling, itching, pain and discharge.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

What could be the small red dots on penis with no pain or swelling?

Query: Hello doctor, I have noticed small red dots on the tip of my penis. All in the same area, no itching, no swelling or anything like that. Sometimes they are barely noticeable and as far as I remember, I had them for about three weeks now. Last time I had sex, it was about four months ago and it was ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Pulmonologist, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from small red spots on the tip of the penis for the last three weeks. Small red spots on the tip of the penis may result from yeast infections, frictions due to clothing, balanitis, c...  Read Full »

What could be a pink spot on penis that bleeds after sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I need to see why this spot on my penis shaft is there. It looks some parts are getting pink color. Also, the foreskin when I get exposed after sex sometime my foreskin get torn and bleeds sometimes. What are the causes? I am attaching some images as well.  Read Full »

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Venereologist, Dermatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Please do attach the photos, so I can guide you through this.  Read Full »

Can I take Vaglibose instead of Jardiance to help penile infection and balanitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 30 years old and I am a type 2 diabetic. Right now I take Lantus 30 unit at night. In the morning, I take Gemer DS 2 and after breakfast, I take 12 mg Jardiance. Now my sugar is under control, but because of Jardiance I usually have penile infection and balantitis. I have googled...  Read Full »

Dr. Rinku Biswas

Pharmacologist, Family Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Urinary infection is the most common side effects of the Empagliflozin (Jardiance). Maintaining thorough hygiene and plenty of water. I can advice you for a change in medication but you need to be very vigilant initially for any fluctuations. Your exact blood sugar val...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for allergy on the head of the penis.

Query: Hi doctor, I have some kind of allergy on the head of my penis. Please tell me how to resolve it and which doctor should I consult. My age is 25. I did not consult any doctor before this. I do catch a cold in a month or two and I skip my diet many days. I saw this allergy a month ago when my girlfri...  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to It appears that either you have contact dermatitis or balanitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Sometimes, condoms are the source of contact allergy or if you have used soap or lotions or any other agent for masturbation. Did you use anything? Also, f...  Read Full »

What could cause swelling and irritation in penis?

Query: Helo doctor, My penis is swollen in the front part with itching and irritation from yesterday. I was trying to check online, it says maybe it is balanitis, not sure though. Please guide what needs to be done? I am currently on medications for high BP and uric acid.  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Kansal

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Andrologist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to It is very likely to be balanitis with the background of acute infection and swelling. You can take tablet CISMA DT (Cefpodoxime) 200 mg twice a day, tablet NISE (Nimesulide) 100 mg twice a day, Tube Dermiford (for local application) twice a day. Take all these medicine...  Read Full »

What can my husband not pull his foreskin to its position after he pulled it back to urinate?

Query: Hi Doctor My husband is having pain in penis head. The foreskin got backwards and now it not coming back to original form and not covering head of penis. Yesterday when my husband was urinating, he tried pulling foreskin and it went backwards, after that it not coming to front. Before also, he was ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aamir Muhamed

General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, It looks like your husband is suffering from a condition called phimosis. Phimosis is a condition in which the foreskin is too tight to be pulled back over the head or glans of the penis. Now this can happen due to a number of reasons, and can be diagnosed only after examination. This usual...  Read Full »

How to fix dryness of penile head caused after stopping steroid cream for phimosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am experiencing dryness on the head of my penis and it seems to be not self-lubricating. If I do not put any lubricate on the head of my penis it will become dry and there is a stinging pain. For the last four months, I have been applying steroid cream to the head of my penis as well as...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandip Pramanik


Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have gone through your queries. You are having dryness of glans penis. And from the photograph, (attachment removed to protect identity) what I assume is, you are having balanitis. You had phimosis. And you applied steroid cream for that. Now your foreskin is ret...  Read Full »

How to treat balanitis in a diabetic person?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 63-year-old male. I am having balanitis. I am a diabetic taking the following medicines. Novostat CV 10, Optidoz, Glimisave max forte 1 two tablets daily, Fourts B and HCQs 200 for RA factor. I have no bad habits and stopped sex two years back due to health reasons. Upon medical a...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Srivastava

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your complaints. I would suggest you to carry out complete blood count to rule out infection which will be reflected by increased total leukocyte count or increased neutrophils. Also, carry out urine examination and random blood glucose to rule out ...  Read Full »

I feel itchy in the head of the penis which worsens on urination and masturbation. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past three days, I am experiencing itchiness within (inside) the head of my penis. There is mild pain while touching the head and it becomes bad post masturbation and urination. No boils found under the skin but it seemed to be red in color.  Read Full »

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Your complaints are more in favor of urethritis or balanitis. This could be a consequence of multiple factors ranging from infections to even renal stones. Kindly mention if there is any pain when passing urine? Is there any pus discharge from the urethra? Is there any ...  Read Full »

How can balanitis be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a male, 51 years old, height 5 feet 6 inches, balanitis problem- An unpleasant smell, redness around the glans, inflammation, soreness, itchiness, or irritation of the glans.  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan N

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to If the symptoms have been present since a week, did you take any medicines or cream for those? Did you start any antibiotic? How is your personal hygiene? Can you take a picture of the affected area with retracted foreskin and send to me? Are you circumcised? You ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours
Chat with a Doctor

Chat with a Doctor

Starting @ just $29.99

Search for a Health Issue


Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.