Q. My meatus is red and there is a burning sensation during urination. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Karthik Rajan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2018

Hi doctor,

My meatus is red and has a small spot on one side. There is a constant burning sensation when I urinate. I am frequently urinating in small amounts. Recently, I had a DRE, and they told me that my prostate is enlarged. I have a foul smell from my penis. I never had this problem before. I have difficulty in emptying my bladder.



Welcome to

I have gone through your query and the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a urinary tract infection which has resulted in some inflammation around the meatus. I would like to know whether you had tenderness in your prostate during an examination.

It is necessary to do a urinalysis and urine culture and to start with antibiotics if there is any infection. Also, ultrasound can also help to identify any prostate enlargement. You can visit your local urologist for getting tested. Once it is controlled, the other symptoms will get subsided soon.

Thank you doctor,

What is the spot on my meatus? I had a urine test last week, and they ruled out UTI. Is it anything else? I also get leakage after I urinate. The surgeon told me that my prostate is only enlarged.



Welcome back to

The red spot looks like an inflamed area on the glans. As it is located next to the meatus, it is most likely due to UTI (urinary tract infection) or urethritis. Have you had any recent unprotected intercourse? It can cause urethritis. Usually, this resolves within a few weeks, but if it is persistent for over a month, then it needs to be checked out and may need a biopsy to be done. A close clinical examination is required to confirm.

Regarding the leakage of urine, a few drops within a few seconds of urination is normal due to the collected urine in the urethra that dribbles out. If it is in a significant amount, then your residual urine in the bladder needs to be checked out to make sure that you are not retaining too much urine. If they are normal, and your problem is too frequent, then there are medications to reduce the bladder contraction and leakage.

Was this answer helpful?

1 out of 1 likes

Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I am having burning sensation while urination. Is it due to fungal infection?

Sometimes urinary tract infection along with vaginal infection causes this pain ... UTI with fungal infection...   Read full

Can UTI be related to sexually transmitted disease?

I feel I might have urinary tract infection, as I feel slight burning while passing the urine, and once the urine is done for a few seconds ... Is this your first attack of ...   Read full

Why am I having forceful urination with itching and burning in penis, urethra and anus?

.. suggest either prostatitis or urethritis. We also need to rule out stricture of the urethra. Please share your urine and ultrasound reports. Also get a uroflow test done. A urine culture should be sent if not done till now. What is the duration of...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»
Osteoporosis: an Important Public Health Problem
Osteoporosis is a problem that is largely preventable. This article focuses on the causes of osteoporosis and the availa...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.