Q. My meatus is red and there is a burning sensation during urination. Why?

Dr. Karthik Rajan

My meatus is red and has a small spot on one side. There is a constant burning sensation when I urinate. I am frequently urinating in small amounts. Recently, I had a DRE, and they told me that my prostate is enlarged. I have a foul smell from my penis. I never had this problem before. I have difficulty in emptying my bladder.

#

I have gone through your query and the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like a urinary tract infection which has resulted in some inflammation around the meatus. I would like to know whether you had tenderness in your prostate during an examination.

It is necessary to do a urinalysis and urine culture and to start with antibiotics if there is any infection. Also, ultrasound can also help to identify any prostate enlargement. You can visit your local urologist for getting tested. Once it is controlled, the other symptoms will get subsided soon.

What is the spot on my meatus? I had a urine test last week, and they ruled out UTI. Is it anything else? I also get leakage after I urinate. The surgeon told me that my prostate is only enlarged.

#

The red spot looks like an inflamed area on the glans. As it is located next to the meatus, it is most likely due to UTI (urinary tract infection) or urethritis. Have you had any recent unprotected intercourse? It can cause urethritis. Usually, this resolves within a few weeks, but if it is persistent for over a month, then it needs to be checked out and may need a biopsy to be done. A close clinical examination is required to confirm.

Regarding the leakage of urine, a few drops within a few seconds of urination is normal due to the collected urine in the urethra that dribbles out. If it is in a significant amount, then your residual urine in the bladder needs to be checked out to make sure that you are not retaining too much urine. If they are normal, and your problem is too frequent, then there are medications to reduce the bladder contraction and leakage.

| 
1 out of 1 likes