Q. Do painless dark vaginal pigmentation suggest herpes or genital warts?

Dr. Amit Kyal

I have two concerns. I have not had sex in over a month and I used a condom with a partner I have been on and off with over the last two years. I have never had any sores from him, and he never had a sore either.

My concerns are: I have noticed this dark pigmentation in a few spots. There is no pain, burning, or itching. They do not appear to be raised. It is just a dark pigmentation. I did the vinegar test and they did not turn white. Although the vinegar really burned my vagina. A gynecologist I went to, did not comment about the dark pigmentations in two exams.

I have this red area near my vaginal opening that is slightly irritated. I know that area has burned a lot with the vinegar, so not sure if it is burned from that.

With both concerns do they look like herpes, genital warts, or STD? Please let me know and address all the questions thoroughly. Please also provide treatment options. My lab test shows no chlamydia, gonorrhea or trichomonas.

#

Do not be worried. Just a dark pigmentation or red area is not of much significance. In herpes, usually, there are a lot of painful eruptions which is not so in your case. In warts, there are irregular bumps which are again not so in your case. Just maintain genital hygiene.

Do vaginal cytology for culture and sensitivity. Do blood for sugar, herpes IgG and Ig M (immunoglobulin G and M) and VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory). Avoid soap, Dettol and douching. Apply locally an emollient. Apply locally a Clotrimazole ointment. Review with reports.

The dark pigmented area feels a little rough, but I am not sure if that is just the normal mucosal membrane for the area. Is that normal?

My doctor does not recommend the herpes blood test without an outbreak which I have never had. Do you really think this could be herpes? I thought you said this does not look like it?

#

It is very unlikely to be herpes, as in herpes there will be painful eruptions. Do not worry regarding the dark pigmented area unless the size increases. Apply emollients and avoid vaginal irritants.

| 

Can herpes cause feet neuropathy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have developed feet neuropathy, primarily the right foot from the past one year. The symptoms went away six months back but returned a month back (burning, tingling, etc). I suffer from high blood pressure and anxiety. The neurologists could not find the cause after all tests. I tes...  Read Full »

Post herpes attack, I am suffering from Bells's palsy. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Post a severe attack of herpes on the left shoulder, left ear (in and out), chest, and back I am now suffering from Bell's palsy on the left side. Symptoms are as follows: Cannot raise left eyebrow. Cannot tighten left nostril. Cannot move lips (left side). Left eye constantly w...  Read Full »

How can I get rid of post acne hyperpigmentation?

Query: Hello doctor,I need to get rid of the post acne hyperpigmentation that is a year old. I have had post-acne hyperpigmentation on my arm and back since I was 15 years old and have tried everything to fade and nothing works.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»