Q. I sleep with contact lenses in my eyes. Will this affect my vision?

Dr. Anand
Published on Aug 28, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2019

I am 16 years old, and I wear contact lenses. I have never really taken them off. I would sleep with the contact lenses in my eyes and I have started wearing them since I was 13 years old. I would change them, but I would not take them off, and I would go days. My vision gets worse when I go to the eye doctor, but I have not had problems with infections. Recently I noticed that my left eye is red without pain or irritation, but red as the color of the pink eye. I do not know if it is the contact lenses which is causing the redness. Please help.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

It can be an infection, but one thing you must remember is contact lenses should ideally be used 8 to 10 hours a day.

If you wear during sleep and for more than 10 hours a day, there is a possibility of the eyes developing infection and transparency of cornea getting decreased over a long time.

You must stop wearing contact lenses till your eyes are clear. Start wearing spectacles.

Contact lenses related bacterial conjunctivitis or
corneal hypoxia.

Detailed slit lamp examination.

Start using antibiotic eye drops and artificial tears eye drops.

My eyes are paining as I slept with contact lenses. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I am using contact lenses daily. But yesterday, I slept with it in my eyes. When I woke up, my eyes were red and itching. It is painful, and water is coming out continuously from my eyes. Please help.  Read Full »

I have frequent and recurring stye problem.Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have frequent and recurring stye problem. Please advise.  Read Full »

What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?

Query: Hi, What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Does it go into the eyeballs? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?  Read Full »