Q. My eyes and the entire area around my pupil have become red. Why?

Dr. K K Agrawal

I am a 48-year-old male. My eyes and the entire area around my pupil have become red. They are hurting me a lot. I went to a doctor, and I was diagnosed with conjunctivitis. I was given Erythromycin ointment to get relief, and I am not feeling better. The area around my eyes is swollen. I am sensitive to light, and it hurts me a lot when I strain them. I do not have this problem before. I am not hypertensive, and I am not diabetic.

#

I have gone through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You have infective conjunctivitis. Erythromycin eye ointment is an antibiotic ointment that helps to get relief from this condition. But it will take some time. I cannot say whether it is viral or bacterial. If it is viral, the disease will get relieved in 10 to 15 days. You should do cold compresses three to four times a day in both the eyes. You should not touch household items too much as it can spread to other members of the family.

| 

What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?

Query: Hi, What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Does it go into the eyeballs? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?  Read Full »

Can vestibular problems and C5-C6 bulge cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had persistent, recurrent headaches and shooting head pains due to a concussion from a traumatic brain injury, that I acquired five years back. The doctor has described my headaches as tension-type headaches, I have pain behind the eyes mainly, but it can be on the top of the head...  Read Full »

How to cure infection after ear piercing?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 4 years old. After piercing her ear, she is suffering from piercing infection. Her weight is 20 kg. I have also attached the pictures of her ears.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»