Q. Can H. pylori infection be treated with injectable antibiotics?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been diagnosed with an H.pylori infection. My current symptoms are an inability to eat properly, excessive burping, and restlessness. My doctor advised taking Cravit and Amoxicillin, along with Pantoprazole as an acid reducer. Just after one doze of antibiotics, I have severe bloating in the stomach and found it difficult to breathe or burp, and had to be rushed to the emergency room. Can H.pylori infection be treated with injectable antibiotics? As my stomach is extremely sensitive to strong oral antibiotics as of now. I am in severe discomfort and help would be greatly appreciated.

#

• Injectable therapy is available for H.pylori infection, and it is more efficacious as compared to oral treatment. Injectable therapy include.
  1. Injection Omeprazole 80 mg stat, followed by 40 mg twice a day for three days, intravenously.
  2. Injection Ampicillin 1.5 gm stat, followed by 750 mg three times a day, intravenously, for three days.
  3. Injection Erythromycin 500 mg, three times a day for three days, intravenously.
  • Discuss with your doctor about these injections.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thanks a lot for your response. My doctor said no such possibility exists.

#

• We normally use 14 days of oral therapy for H.pylori, this is the standard treatment. Intravenous treatment is not in usual practice because most of the patients tolerate oral regimen very well.
  • The intravenous treatment is basically for acute situations, the best result of eradication can be achieved with oral therapy.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|