Q. How can pulmonary regurgitation with dilated pulmonary artery be treated?

Dr. Salam Salloum

My child had critical pulmonary stenosis and had balloon dilation at three months. She is now 13. She has moderate pulmonary regurgitation, her LV ejaculation fraction is 69 %. She has a mildly dilated RV and pulmonary artery. She gets breathlessness. Should I be concerned?

#

As per cardiac MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the degree of pulmonary valve regurgitation is moderate at the most with only mildly dilate RV. Please be assured at this stage. However, she still needs yearly follow-ups either with an echo or another cardiac MRI. If you have the full report of the MRI, I am happy to go through with you.

What does enlarged pulmonary artery mean with velocity 1.4?

#

It means it is dilated more than the normal size for her age. The velocity is referring to the speed of blood flow across the valve. A velocity of 1.5 m/sec tells me that the degree of pulmonary stenosis is at most is mild. The narrower the orifice the higher the speed of blood across it. If you think about it as a house with water coming from its end. If you put pressure at the open end and make it smaller the water will reach further distance because its speed increased.

|