Q. Why is the finger shrinking post replantation surgery?

Dr. Pavan N Murdeshwar

My 9-year-old son underwent a finger replantation surgery two days ago. Yesterday, the finger was quite normal but today it is becoming little dry and shrinking. How can the finger be saved? Please help. I have attached few photographs.

#

The replanted finger usually cannot be commented upon until 48 to 72 hours of the procedure. The finger may seem to be normal until then.

The common cause of failure includes venous congestion where the finger turns bluish and edematous.

As you have mentioned, the finger is having wrinkles and in the photo you sent (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the color also looks good, so more likely it will survive.

Few other tests like tip bleeding and sugar level will help determine the status.

For more information consult a plastic surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/plastic-surgeon

|