Q. I have pain and edema after being hit in the scrotum. Will my fertility be affected?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

I got hit in the right scrotum three months back. I underwent an ultrasound and my report reads:

1. Minimal hydrocele found. 
  2. The scrotal wall appears edematous.

This was on my right scrotum. The left one is normal. On the doctor's advice, I took Akeso, Chymoral, Hetrazan tablets for two weeks. I suffered huge pain on alternate days for the first month. The pain gradually decreased. Now after two months, I went for an ultrasound again. This time my report reads:

1. Grade-1 varicocele seen on both side.
  2. Mild diffuse scrotal edema in the anteroinferior aspect (thickness 7. 89 mm) on right.

I took Banocide forte and vitamin tablets.

Now, I feel mild pain on sexual arousal in my right scrotum, mild pain while touching the exact site of injury on the right side. I have irritation and hotness after prolonged sitting. The left is normal. I cannot ride my bike due to this. Also, will masturbation worsen the condition? Should I stop it? I used to do it two to three times a week. Will my condition affect my fertility? Will I get complete recovery from my pain and condition? I am worried. Expecting your reply soon.

#

First of all, trauma on the testis is very common. As it is a very sensitive structure, pain and discomfort will be there and will persist for some weeks to months also.

• As your ultrasound is normal, it will not affect your fertility. So, do not worry.
  • I suggest you take a painkiller like tablet Voveran SR (Diclofenac) 75 mg in the morning and evening when you feel increased pain.
  • Wear a scrotal support, so that the testis should not hang loosely.
  • Avoid lifting weights.
  • You can masturbate, but avoid any sort of trauma on your testis.

You will get cured, but it may take some time.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Sorry, I forgot to mention my age. I am a 22-year-old student. Will my grade-1 varicocele go away? Will it affect my fertility? Will I get complete recovery from edema? When can I start riding a bike? My report is attached. Please help me.

#

• A grade-1 varicocele will not affect your fertility. It may take some time for the edema to resolve.
  • You can continue Banocide forte (Diethylcarbamazine) and take above precautions which I told.
  • You can drive bike, but not for long distance.

|