Q. How do you know when you are depressed and should see a doctor?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

How do you know when you are depressed and should see a doctor?

#

The cardinal symptoms of depression are following, and these should be present for at least for two weeks:

1. Depressed mood.
  2. Anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure from activities that are usually found enjoyable).
  3. Significant weight change or change in appetite.
  4. Insomnia or hypersomnia.
  5. Psychomotor agitation or retardation.
  6. Fatigue or loss of energy.
  7. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt.
  8. Decreased ability to concentrate or indecisiveness.
  9. Thoughts of death or suicidal ideation.

If you have any of the above symptoms, then it indicates that you have some mood disorder. This is also important to remember that these symptoms may be present in other medical and psychiatric disorders as well. If your symptoms impair your functioning in any domain and causing distress to you or your family members, then it is time to see a doctor. In my view never to wait for more than two weeks for impairment in functioning to see a psychiatrist.

|