Resting Heart Rate

Why does my heart rate increase with fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel feverish for the last three days. My BP is 88/111 mmHg and heart rate is 87 to 106. Yesterday, I got fainted after some exercise and brisk walk. I am on Azitromycin, Aviral-H 40, Delip 20 and PCM.  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since you are feverish, it is expected to have a higher heart rate. Every grade of temperature raises 10 heartbeats more than normal. Blood pressure can be at higher values too. In this case, your body works at full capacity trying to maintain itself and eliminat...  Read Full »

Is it necessary to stop exercising to avoid any complication in LVH?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with severe LVH due to anabolic steroid abuse the past two and a half years and training for more than three hours a day. I have made lifestyle changes and lost weight but my anxiety now gets the better of me. I have a family history of bradycardia my RHR is 40s and h...  Read Full »

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I passed carefully through your history and would like to reassure you that there is no reason to panic, as long as you have stopped physical training and anabolic steroids intake. You should know that LVH (left ventricular hypertrophy) is quite reversible in such a...  Read Full »

I started running but my resting heart rate is going up instead of down. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36, weighing 57 kg and having a resting heart rate of 60 to 65 bpm till last week, but now I am getting resting heart rate as 80 to 85 bpm. From last one week, I have started running every day for about 16 minutes, four minutes each lap (starting with 5 kmph to 8 kmph till 16th m...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not think there is anything to worry about. Running for a longer time, say for few months at least, will make the heart stronger and decrease the heart rate, not for a week. There are numerous factors which can affect our heart beat like exercise status, walkin...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have good health with occasional atrial fibrillation. Last night, I had a flare up of atrial fibrillation and my resting heart rate was 130 beats per minute which happened a few hours ago. My normal resting heart rate is 70 beats per minute. I am taking Magnesium and Potassium.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Atrial fibrillation occurring in this age group needs evaluation like an echocardiogram, cardiac stress test, coronary angiography to rule out coronary artery disease. Next, I guess you do not have any other diseases like diabetes, hypertension, or stroke. If not, then ...  Read Full »

What should be the target heart rate during physical activity?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old female. My resting heart rate is 69 bpm. What should be my target heart rate during physical activity?  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The resting heart rate can vary among the population, and it is usually 72 +/- 6. With exercise, it may go to 180 or more depending on the nature of the training, exercise tolerance, fitness, the age of the patient, etc. The fitter you are, lower your resting hear...  Read Full »

Why is the resting heart rate low in spite of pacemaker?

Query: Hello doctor, My 78 year old father has had a pacemaker for five years. The pacemaker is working. But his heart is becoming weaker and more dependent on the pacemaker. He now has a low resting heart rate. What causes this? What is the treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, if the pacemaker is working, then the heartbeat will be the set rate of the pacemaker machine. If the heart rate is below the set rate then the pacemaker is not working properly. Kindly get his pacemaker checked with the pacemaker company. Please...  Read Full »

Is it true that athletes have a low heart rate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I go to the gym six times a week. I am taking protein supplements and milk. I am not taking caffeine, alcohol or any other medicine. My resting heart rate is 84. When my pulse is under 100 I do not feel anything, but during some tension it goes above 100. While sleeping...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. The normal heart rate varies from 60 to 100 beats per minute (BPM). During activity, heart rate of every person increases and it may cross 100 BPM. So, what I can see in your query is something that I also have. In fact, this is the patte...  Read Full »