Q. I started running but my resting heart rate is going up instead of down. Please help.

I am 36, weighing 57 kg and having a resting heart rate of 60 to 65 bpm till last week, but now I am getting resting heart rate as 80 to 85 bpm. From last one week, I have started running every day for about 16 minutes, four minutes each lap (starting with 5 kmph to 8 kmph till 16th minute). I have heard that if we start running every day our heart rate goes down and down, but the reverse is happening for me, so scary. And also, I am a light smoker, smoke three to four cigarettes a day (till three months back, I used to smoke 10 cigarettes a day). Please help to figure out the issue.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I do not think there is anything to worry about. Running for a longer time, say for few months at least, will make the heart stronger and decrease the heart rate, not for a week.

There are numerous factors which can affect our heart beat like exercise status, walking before taking heart rate, psychological status like anxiety, etc. So, this can cause an elevated heart rate.

I guess you do not have any symptoms like dizziness, shortness of breath with elevated heart rate, right?

Also, no harm in getting a thyroid test done as resting heart was on the lower side.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|