Q. I am 19 years old and all of my teeth are milk teeth. Will my permanent teeth grow?

Dr. Subha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I am 19 years old and all of my teeth are baby/milk teeth. Is there a chance that permanent teeth will grow for me?

#

Usually, milk teeth start shedding at 6 years of age, followed by permanent teeth eruption. Permanent teeth gradually replace milk teeth and the entire replacement occurs within 14 years of age. Persistence of the milk teeth at 19 years requires attention.

The absence of permanent teeth might be due to:

1. Genetic disorders.
  2. Absence of permanent tooth buds.
  3. Any obstructions in the path of permanent teeth eruption.
  4. Impacted permanent teeth.
Give a detailed family history and get an OPG (orthopantomogram) x-ray done for further follow-up.

|