Retained Milk Teeth

Will extraction of retained primary tooth give way for the permanent tooth to grow in position?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 17 years old. I have a loose tooth that I believe to be one of my primary teeth. My questions are, does that make it an over-retained primary tooth? If it is an over-retained primary tooth, does that mean that if it falls out, will my permanent tooth will grow in or is it possib...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Banu M

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, based on your age, it must be definitely a retained deciduous or primary tooth as it is mobile, because rarely in this age tooth mobility can occur (unless you have any gum disease). So, the treatment for the retained tooth is removal. Kindly send me a ...  Read Full »

I have two milk teeth covered by adult teeth. How long will it take to remove the baby teeth?

Query: Hello doctor,I have two milk teeth in my mouth in the upper part. There are two adult teeth on top of that as visible from the x-ray. I wanted to know if I start the procedure now, how long it takes to pull the two adult teeth down and remove the baby teeth?  Read Full »

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are retained teeth and impacted permanent canines (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As your age is concerned, it is a complicated procedure to move them orthodontically after extraction. Still, I think you consult an orthodontist that will decid...  Read Full »

Is it possible to close the gap between teeth after removing the bottom milk teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a milk tooth in the bottom row middle, which is moving and needs to be removed. And I got irregular teeth in the top and bottom which needs correction. Is it possible to close the gap after removing the bottom milk teeth, the gap would be about the width of a 5 rupee coin.  Read Full »

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Physician, Orthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, could be done in clinic after removal of mobile tooth assessment of available space and space management criterion and space maintainance methods implemented such as Maryland bridge. As your age is 30, I suggest you undergo orthodontic treatment sooner as bone elas...  Read Full »

My 16 year old daughter's baby teeth have not fallen off still. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 16 years old, and her baby teeth have still not fallen off. Just in the past two years, it had slowly started to be pushed out and now the permanent teeth are finally erupting. It seems red in the middle, but there is no pain or discomfort. Will the teeth eventually com...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. The problem is over-retained milk teeth. As your daughter is 16 years of age and still the milk teeth have not fallen, then there is a possibility that it will not fall on its own. Rather, it will disturb the alignment of the erupting permanent teet...  Read Full »

Is it normal to still have baby teeth at 19?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19 years old and all of my teeth are baby/milk teeth. Is there a chance that permanent teeth will grow for me?  Read Full »

Dr. Subha

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, milk teeth start shedding at 6 years of age, followed by permanent teeth eruption. Permanent teeth gradually replace milk teeth and the entire replacement occurs within 14 years of age. Persistence of the milk teeth at 19 years requires attention. The a...  Read Full »

Should I get my milk tooth removed and get an implant in its place?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 21 year old male. I have a milk tooth. It is the second premolar. The X-ray does not show any signs of a normal tooth under or near it. The doctor said that an implant is necessary. So, is it necessary?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The milk tooth in adults is called as a retained deciduous tooth. You can first go for an extraction of your deciduous (milk tooth). Then you have the options of going for an implant, RPD (removable partial denture) or FPD (fixed partial denture). Considering your age...  Read Full »

I am 20 and still have milk teeth. Will I get permanent teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. My milk teeth or primary teeth did not fall still. Those teeth are a little bit shaky now. If I get it removed, will I get new permanent teeth?  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Over-retained milk teeth till the age of 20 years must have caused misalignment and impaction of your permanent teeth.First of all, you should get a panoramic x-ray done to check whether the permanent teeth buds are present under the milk teeth. If yes, then it has to be ...  Read Full »