Q. What are the ways to close the gap between teeth after removing the bottom milk teeth?

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha
Published on Jun 12, 2019

I have a milk tooth in the bottom row middle, which is moving and needs to be removed. And I got irregular teeth in the top and bottom which needs correction. Is it possible to close the gap after removing the bottom milk teeth, the gap would be about the width of a 5 rupee coin.

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Orthodontist
#

Yes, could be done in clinic after removal of mobile tooth assessment of available space and space management criterion and space maintainance methods implemented such as Maryland bridge. As your age is 30, I suggest you undergo orthodontic treatment sooner as bone elasticity for pressure tension decreases with age.

As the space left out after removal would not be more than 4 mm, can the teeth be aligned or moved to close the gap instead of implants?

Dr. Bhargav R Gutha

Community Medicine Orthodontist
#

It depends on conservative management and midline matching. Also, the upper arch is not exactly U shape (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It requires to be aligned and calculation of ideal or near ideal overjet and overbite. Instead of implants, later the idea of single tooth bridge also suffices. Before extraction, consult nearest clinic for orthodontic opinion.

My 5 year old son is losing his front teeth. Is it good or bad?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five years old. Recently, he lost his front bottom teeth and now the other front bottom tooth is also loose. Is it good or bad? Before four months, all his molar teeth were removed due to decay.  Read Full »

Dental Schedule For Children To Prevent Future Dental Problems

Article Overview: This article emphasizes that, adequate care of the milk teeth till the child reaches 15 years will reduce many possible dental problems and save you money later!!! Read Article

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Pedodontist

All the dental problems which are found in an average human being can be prevented if proper timely intervention is done. Every child should be made familiar with a dentist at an early age and not just when he is having pain or discomfort. A child should be brought to a dentist for the f...  Read Article

Should I get my milk tooth removed and get an implant in its place?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 21 year old male. I have a milk tooth. It is the second premolar. The X-ray does not show any signs of a normal tooth under or near it. The doctor said that an implant is necessary. So, is it necessary?  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now