Q. My son has retractile testicles. Does he require surgery?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Sep 08, 2019

My son is 3 years old and has retractile testicles. Is surgery generally required for this condition?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

For retractile testis, we can wait up to the age of 8 years.

Usually, the testis descends by that age. If there are no complications and it is a proper retractile testis and not an undescended testis, then you can wait till the above age. However, continuous monitoring with USG (ultrasonography) is required every six-monthly. However, if the testis is completely undescended, then it is advisable to do orchidopexy surgery before the age of 2 years.

| 

What is considered as a proper retractile testis? Are there any risks of infertility or cancer with this condition? Is it some thing I should be worried about?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

A retractile testis is one which stays in the scrotum sometimes and sometimes is not there in the scrotum. A confirmation for retractile testis can be obtained by physical evaluation by a pediatric surgeon and also by sonography of the inguinoscrotal region.

If the testis is retractile, it has a 50 percentage chance of coming down into the scrotum since the testis grows with age.

| 

If it does not descend before he turns 8, then would he require surgery?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Yes, definitely. Also, if at all any complications develop during this time interval which may either be picked up on sonography or clinical examination by a pediatric surgeon, then we may need to go with surgery.

| 

Thank you. So, I understand that for the time being, he does not require surgery. But, he possibly could in the future.

What can be the causes of right-sided abdominal pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from pain on the right side of my abdomen, from the past three days. It pains more when I press my abdomen. The pain is not very severe, and it comes and goes. I thought it is a gastric pain, so I took medicines for it. But, it did not help me get rid of the pain. Wh...  Read Full »

What are the possible causes for fatigue that did not improve with TRT?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 42-year-old male. I had undescended testes from childhood which went untreated (hence I had always been and am on single testis only). The undescended testis still lies in the groin. I used to feel fatigued most of the times over the years, due to which I had difficulty in conc...  Read Full »

My left testis has become very small after an episode of pain and swelling. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. Two years back, all of a sudden, I felt a severe pain in my left scrotum, which became more and more severe. Then my left testis was hard, and I also think it became a little bigger in size. The size of the left testis has become very small gradually over the pas...  Read Full »