Q. My son has retractile testicles. Does he require surgery?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

My son is 3 years old and has retractile testicles. Is surgery generally required for this condition?

Do you have a question on Retractile Testicle or Undescended Testis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

MBBS., DCH
Child Health Paediatrics

For retractile testis, we can wait up to the age of 8 years.

Usually, the testis descends by that age. If there are no complications and it is a proper retractile testis and not an undescended testis, then you can wait till the above age. However, continuous monitoring with USG (ultrasonography) is required every six-monthly. However, if the testis is completely undescended, then it is advisable to do orchidopexy surgery before the age of 2 years.

What is considered as a proper retractile testis? Are there any risks of infertility or cancer with this condition? Is it some thing I should be worried about?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

MBBS., DCH
Child Health Paediatrics

A retractile testis is one which stays in the scrotum sometimes and sometimes is not there in the scrotum. A confirmation for retractile testis can be obtained by physical evaluation by a pediatric surgeon and also by sonography of the inguinoscrotal region.

If the testis is retractile, it has a 50 percentage chance of coming down into the scrotum since the testis grows with age.

If it does not descend before he turns 8, then would he require surgery?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

MBBS., DCH
Child Health Paediatrics

Yes, definitely. Also, if at all any complications develop during this time interval which may either be picked up on sonography or clinical examination by a pediatric surgeon, then we may need to go with surgery.

Thank you. So, I understand that for the time being, he does not require surgery. But, he possibly could in the future.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

MBBS., DCH
Child Health Paediatrics

Yes. Take care.

What can be the causes of right-sided abdominal pain?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from pain on the right side of my abdomen, from the past three days. It pains more when I press my abdomen. The pain is not very severe, and it comes and goes. I thought it is a gastric pain, so I took medicines for it. But, it did not help me get rid of the pain. Wh...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. These are a few things we worry about in that particular area: Appendicitis: It does not seem to be an acute inflammation; otherwise, you should be in severe pain and unable to do anything. However, it may be chronic recurring appendicitis. Diverticulitis: It usually o...  Read Full

What are the possible causes for fatigue that did not improve with TRT?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 42-year-old male. I had undescended testes from childhood which went untreated (hence I had always been and am on single testis only). The undescended testis still lies in the groin. I used to feel fatigued most of the times over the years, due to which I had difficulty in conc...  Read Full >>
Dr. Smrita Singh
Hematologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would like to know as to why you are receiving testosterone replacement therapy. I know that you have mentioned that you have one undescended testis. But many men do not have any problem even when they have a single functional testis. Testosterone replacement thera...  Read Full

My left testis has become very small after an episode of pain and swelling. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. Two years back, all of a sudden, I felt a severe pain in my left scrotum, which became more and more severe.¬†Then my left testis was hard, and I also think it became a little bigger in size. The size of the left testis has become very small gradually over the pas...  Read Full >>
Dr. Devendra
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good that you have sought advice at least now. The episode you described was left side torsion of the testis because of which your left testis is destroyed. A single testis is enough to support secondary sexual characters and fertility to father a child, but you ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now