Q. My child had a surgery for undescended testicle. Will his testicle grow normally?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 13, 2021

My child had an undescended testicle. He underwent surgery ten months back. But his testicle seems small when compared to others. Does his testicle have improper growth? Will it take some time to grow normally?

#

Undescended testis occurs due to abnormal testis. It does not grow normally. Testis remained high up at the time of birth can also cause undescended testis. There is an absence of a good environment to grow well. So, it remains small compared to normally descended testis. There is a small chance that this difference can become less obvious once the child reaches puberty. Thirdly, the position of undescended testis before surgery also determines its growth after surgery. Very high testis or testis inside the abdomen requires more surgical dissection with more strain on feeding blood vessels. There are more chances to have an injury of blood vessels and hence smaller testis occurs. It is difficult to point out one particular reason for the testis being small. If the child has one normally descended testis, then the child will grow up totally normal like other kids with a single testis.

|