Undescended Testis

Undescended testis is known as cryptorchidism, which occurs when the testis has not moved to the correct position in the scrotal bag before birth. It is not common but it may occur in prematurely born babies, and may involve one testis. Rarely, both the testis can be affected. Testis which is not felt in the usual area can be a sign of undescended testis. Testicular cancer, fertility issues, trauma, inguinal hernia, and testicular torsion are the possible complications of undescended testis.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am a 30-year-old male with undescended testicle. I have low sex drive and anxiety issues. Please help.

Query: Hi, I am a 30-year-old male with an undescended testicle. My sperm concentration is 3.5 million and have a motility of 50 %. I am facing anxiety issues and a low sex drive. My right testicle is not working. I took HeyForte capsule and Testact tablet for the last five days. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Raveendran S. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. I checked your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You have a low sperm count, less semen, and a lot of defective sperm. Have you done any investigation regarding your undescended testicle? I...  Read Full »

How to make both testicles the same size?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cryptorchidism surgery at the age of 9. Now, I am 24. My left testicle is 2.4 x 3.4 cm. My right testicle is 4.5 x 5.6 cm. I have been prescribed best tablets to increase the size of testis on the left side. Both my epididymides are out of testicles thus making them long. I am fe...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to have unequal testes. First of all, I would like to inform you that the most probable reason for the unequal size of testes is due to the very illness known as cryptorchidism. Unfortunately, there is no other treatment modality which can make the size of ...  Read Full »

Can I lead a normal life with just one testis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old male. I have only one testis. I have sexual feelings as a normal man would do. I am masturbating about once every week. Will a single testis cause any problem in the future? Recently, I had my first sex with my partner. At that time I was tensed and also had difficul...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It appears you are having a condition called cryptorchidism in which one of the testes is not present in the scrotum. There could be one of the two possibilities, either your testis has not developed at all or it has developed normally but has failed to move into the...  Read Full »

Is it possible to stay sexually active with one testis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. I can remember that since I was about 11, my left testicle has always been high up in my scrotum. When I look down at my genitals, I cannot see my right testicle. But, my left one is clearly visible and starts at the same position next to my penis. I understand that one...  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar M.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all the data you have posted (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Normally, right testis remain little higher up than the left, but in your case it is a little higher up. During the process of formation, testes are formed inside the ab...  Read Full »

Can an undescended testis cause infertility?

Query: Hello doctor, One of my testicles is not descended completely to the sac. I am 31 years old and not married yet. I have few queries regarding this. Do I need surgery? Does it affect fertility? Does it have any adverse effect on my sex life?  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This condition is known as cryptorchidism (absence of one or both testes in the scrotum). If one of the testes has not descended as yet, then ideally it may have become dysfunctional already depending on the location of the testis, if it is still intra-abdominal or i...  Read Full »

What are the side effects of orchidopexy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old medical student. This year, I lost my right testis to testicular torsion, resulting from late diagnosis. As a precautionary measure, a contralateral orchidopexy was also done. This involving a part so intimately connected to me shattered me a lot and I am recoveri...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, relax and do not worry at all. We had done orchidectomy due to torsion in many patients. They are absolutely fine and doing well physically as well as mentally. Having one testis remaining is perfectly fine. You will have no problem regarding sperm produ...  Read Full »

What is the recommended age to do surgery for undescended testis?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 1 year 1 month 11 days old. He was born prematurely at 36 weeks. After birth, his right testis was retractile. The doctor has advised to wait till 1 year. Now, an USG of the testes was done according to the doctor's advice. The report shows that both testes are seen in the ingui...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishrut Narang

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If on clinical examination the diagnosis is retractile testis, then nothing needs to be done we should wait and watch. But, if on clinical examination it is undescended testis, then one should go in for early surgery. Ultrasound is not a reliable investigation in t...  Read Full »

Is surgery required for retractile testicles?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 3 years old and has retractile testicles. Is surgery generally required for this condition?  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For retractile testis, we can wait up to the age of 8 years. Usually, the testis descends by that age. If there are no complications and it is a proper retractile testis and not an undescended testis, then you can wait till the above age. However, continuous monitoring...  Read Full »

I have cryptorchidism. Should my testicle be moved or removed?

Query: Hi doctor, My age is 25. Not married yet. I recently observed I am having cryptorchidism. In scan report, it is revealed that my left testis is in iliac fossa. Doctor told it should be removed from the body. My query is, should it be removed? Or it can be moved to scrotum? And, does single testis ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Khant Shahil Ramesh Bhai

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I want to know the size of the testis. Also, what is the status of opposite testis? Normal and descended completely with normal size? As you are 25 and if your undescended testis is small and atrophy then better remove it. There will be no effect if you remove one te...  Read Full »

How long does an undescended testicle take to grow to the normal size after surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My child had an undescended testicle. He underwent surgery ten months back. But his testicle seems small when compared to others. Does his testicle have improper growth? Will it take some time to grow normally?  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Chandarashekhara Bharadwaj

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Undescended testis occurs due to abnormal testis. It does not grow normally. Testis remained high up at the time of birth can also cause undescended testis. There is an absence of a good environment to grow well. So, it remains small compared to normally descended t...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.