iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersUrologyundescended testisHow to treat an undescended testis in an 11-year-old boy?

What should we do for our son's undescended testis?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At January 16, 2017
Reviewed AtJune 27, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My son is 11 years old. He had undescended testis. The doctors found it diminishing, and they removed it through surgery. The other testis is still undescended. It is very small in size, and as per doctor the cord attached to it is small and hence cannot be brought down. Kindly advise.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

The child had undergone orchidectomy for 0.15 to 0.19 inch atrophic testis which is too small to have a function. Only preoperative imaging studies to document the size of palpable inguinal mass or testes is not available. The other testis needs to be brought into the scrotum as it is also getting atrophic and with time the final functional potential of the testes may get damaged irreversibly. At this age, the catch-up growth may not be expected much. If the clinical examination indicates that the testes are coming to the neck of the scrotum, then it would not be difficult doing orchidopexy on remaining side. Long term sexual function may not be affected much, but fertility potential has a guarded prognosis. Fertility issue can be managed later on. Management till now looks fine. Go ahead with orchidopexy on the remaining side.

Treatment plan

Orchidopexy on the right side.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Choudhary Devendra
Dr. Choudhary Devendra


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy