Q. What is reversed A wave in Doppler?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I am pregnant with MCMA twins. We have been told that one twin has a reversed A wave. What possible outcomes can this have for the twin? Please explain. Thanks.

#

I went through your query and I totally understand your situation.

• A reversed A wave in Doppler is associated with very high chance of trisomy in the baby. The genetic abnormalities associated with this maybe even fatal.
  • Since monochorionic monoamniotic twins (MCMA twin) are usually monozygotic that is they share the same genetic material and hence the other baby may also be affected.
  • I suggest you to get the other baby tested too. In case the results are normal for the other one, you could try going for selective fetal reduction procedure.
  • Through this way you could at least have one healthy baby. Hopefully everything turns out well for you. All the best.

For further doubts consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

| 

Am I at risk of having a baby with trisomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. I am 23 weeks and three days pregnant now. My first-trimester scan was normal. My anomaly scan was done at 20 weeks six days was fine. My quad test alone is abnormal with raised beta hCG value of 6.54 mIU/mL. Am I at risk of having a baby with trisomy 1? Is it common...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Fetal Medicine Specialist Now