Q. What is reversed A wave in Doppler?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

I am pregnant with MCMA twins. We have been told that one twin has a reversed A wave. What possible outcomes can this have for the twin? Please explain. Thanks.

#

I went through your query and I totally understand your situation.

• A reversed A wave in Doppler is associated with very high chance of trisomy in the baby. The genetic abnormalities associated with this maybe even fatal.
  • Since monochorionic monoamniotic twins (MCMA twin) are usually monozygotic that is they share the same genetic material and hence the other baby may also be affected.
  • I suggest you to get the other baby tested too. In case the results are normal for the other one, you could try going for selective fetal reduction procedure.
  • Through this way you could at least have one healthy baby. Hopefully everything turns out well for you. All the best.

For further doubts consult a fetal medicine specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/fetal-medicine-specialist

|