Q. Kindly explain the factors used to calculate the risk of trisomy 21.

Dr. Uzma Arqam

My NT scan showed me a range of 1.4 mm and my double marker showed me a risk of 1:20300. But my age risk showed a result of 1:176. Which one has to be considered and what it signifies regarding the risk for trisomy 21?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through the query (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Many factors count for calculating risk. They are age, serum markers, family history, and nuchal translucency. An age-related risk is more after 35 years of age. As you are 38 years old, so the risk is calculated as 1:176. But, individually it cannot define the whole risk as it involves other factors also.

Nuchal translucency less than 2.9 mm is considered normal, and you have a range of 1.4 mm, so the factor does not show a risk for an anomaly. Serum markers show a least negligible risk like 1 in 20300. So this factor is also not under threat. You have not mentioned about your family history as it will also play a role in calculating the all over risk. So the combined risk is decidedly less. Have a usual anomaly scan at 20 weeks to check for any anomaly. Around 22 weeks, try to have a cardiac outflow tract.

| 

Do my wife's NT scan and double marker test results show a high risk for Down's syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife had NT scan and double marker test at 12 weeks and 3 days of pregnancy. The report is as follows, CRL is 59.2 mm, NT is 1.45 mm, free beta-hCG is 84.84 IU/L, equivalent to 2.217 MoM and PAPP-A 0.712 IU/L equivalent to 0.282 MoM. Trisomy 21 is 1: 450 1:47 and trisomy 18 is 1: 5315...  Read Full »