Q. What can be done to treat continuous itching in a thyroid patient?

Dr. Ambadi Kumar
Published on Apr 01, 2019

My mother has a big-time issue with itching on all parts of her body. She is 66 years old and has blood pressure and thyroid. Kindly suggest.

Dr. Ambadi Kumar

Integrative Medicine Internal Medicine Wellness Medicine
#

Itching can be due to dry skin (xerosis), eczema (dermatitis), psoriasis, scabies, liver disease, kidney failure, iron deficiency anemia, thyroid disease, lymphoma or medications. Please get comprehensive blood work done to rule out these causes. Please treat according to the cause. Symptomatic treatment includes using calamine lotion, Caladryl lotion, antihistaminics. Take oil whole body bath at least three days a week since you already have hypothyroidism it may be the cause.

Hypothyroidism and high BP can be completely reversed without any medicines because they are lifestyle diseases. First, fix your hypothyroidism without medicines naturally with lifestyle and diet. Do the correct basic tests for thyroid function which is seven in number. If you have done only the total T4, total T3 and TSH, it is incorrect. These three tests are commonly done and these tests are incomplete. You are missing the autoimmune cause which should never be left out.

Hypothyroidism does not require lifelong treatment unless you have got your thyroid removed by surgery or has been destroyed by radiation to neck. Thyronorm, Thyrox, Synthroid, Eltroxin which are synthetic T4 may or may not be the correct drug you need. T4 is an inactive hormone, T3 is the active hormone. T4 has to get converted to T3 in the presence of a healthy liver, healthy gut and adequate amounts of certain specific vitamins and minerals. T4 is useless unless it is converted to T3.

Dose adjustment in hypothyroid based on normal standard laboratory TSH ranges is completely wrong. Your laboratory will be normal but you will still have symptoms like fatigue, constipation, hair loss, inability to lose weight, brain fog, etc. Triggers for hypothyroidism include chemicals in your food, water, cooking oils, toilet and kitchen cleaners, stress, infections, cosmetics, etc. Take a consultation and try to most probably reverse your hypothyroidism. Treat the triggers and taper your medicine and you may be able to stop medication eventually.

Does Itching Disturb Your Regular Activities?

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail the diagnosis and management of severe itching. Read Article

Nowadays itching is a major problem or symptom of most of the allergic, systemic or fungal diseases. 4 out of 10 people have had some type of itching problem of the skin in their routine life. Severe itch also disturbs regular activities of daily living of mankind. What is Itching? Itching is de...  Read Article

How can I cure dry skin around my lips that is peeling off?

Query: Hello doctor, My skin around the lip is always dry and peeling off. I tried applying all natural moisturizers like ghee, olive oil, etc. My doctor has asked me to take Neurobion for vitamin deficiency. Still, no improvement related to dryness. Kindly suggest a remedy for this.  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you apply Flutivate (Fluticasone propionate) cream, twice daily for a week. Thereafter, I suggest you apply NMF-e lip balm, 2 to 3 times in a day. For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatolo...  Read Full

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please be advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they happen every 2...  Read Full