Q. My blood group is A+. Will my child suffer Rh incompatibility if I marry someone who has A-?

Answered by
Dr. Purushottam Sah
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 22, 2017

Hello doctor,

I am a 30 year old male. My blood group is A positive. I am going to marry and I am looking for a suitable match now. I wish to have two children in future. I have two questions:

  • As my blood group is a positive and if I marry someone who also has A positive blood group, then will there be any problem during pregnancy or after pregnancy? Does the child have any potential for deformity, low IQ, mental illness, anemia or any kind of physical problem or will the child be healthy?
  • If I get married to someone who is A negative and if the child is A positive, then I have heard that there is potential for problems, for both child and the mother during gestation. It may also cause problems during second pregnancy due to antibodies created during first pregnancy. What are the treatments available to prevent this? I have heard that some injection is used. Please let me know how do the doctors deal with the issues of Rh incompatibility? Will the child be healthy, both mentally and physically?

Please let me know. Thank you.



Welcome to I have read and understood your problem.

You are A positive and if your partner will also be A positive, it means both of you will be carrying Rh positive factor. So, there is no ill effect in marrying someone with your same blood group.

If you marry someone Rh negative, be it A, B, AB, O and if the baby is Rh positive then the risk is present as you have mentioned. Doctors deal with the issues of Rh incompatibility by giving injection Anti RhD after first delivery or abortion. The child is healthy if prophylaxis is given. No physical or mental issues will occur due to this.

Best wishes.

Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for further follow up -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can same blood group of parents cause any problem to baby?

.. blood group not at all lead to any problem in conception. Same blood group people can marry and can produce a normal child. So as far as same blood group concerned do not worry about that. But as a doctor I will advise you to check your wife thala...   Read full

Will our blood group combination create a problem at the time of conceiving?

.. having a positive group and your wife is having a negative group. So, in the first pregnancy, it will not create any problem in the mother or child. But, sensitization to Rh antigen can occur and mother forms antibody against Rh D antigen. If she...   Read full

My fiance's blood group and mine are different. Will it create problems to our baby's health?

.. your fiance can marry without any problem. Do not worry regarding that. The only thing that has to be done is checking the baby's blood group. As your blood group is Rh negative, so if the baby's blood group is Rh positive then it might ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.