Q. My blood group is A+. Will my child suffer Rh incompatibility if I marry someone who has A-?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

I am a 30 year old male. My blood group is A positive. I am going to marry and I am looking for a suitable match now. I wish to have two children in future. I have two questions:

• As my blood group is a positive and if I marry someone who also has A positive blood group, then will there be any problem during pregnancy or after pregnancy? Does the child have any potential for deformity, low IQ, mental illness, anemia or any kind of physical problem or will the child be healthy?
  • If I get married to someone who is A negative and if the child is A positive, then I have heard that there is potential for problems, for both child and the mother during gestation. It may also cause problems during second pregnancy due to antibodies created during first pregnancy. What are the treatments available to prevent this? I have heard that some injection is used. Please let me know how do the doctors deal with the issues of Rh incompatibility? Will the child be healthy, both mentally and physically?

Please let me know. Thank you.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read and understood your problem.

You are A positive and if your partner will also be A positive, it means both of you will be carrying Rh positive factor. So, there is no ill effect in marrying someone with your same blood group.

If you marry someone Rh negative, be it A, B, AB, O and if the baby is Rh positive then the risk is present as you have mentioned. Doctors deal with the issues of Rh incompatibility by giving injection Anti RhD after first delivery or abortion. The child is healthy if prophylaxis is given. No physical or mental issues will occur due to this.

Best wishes.

Consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|