Q. From the photo, please confirm if my son has ringworm infection.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on May 05, 2017

Hi doctor,m

I believe that my 6 year old son has ringworm infection. It started out small and then within a few days has gotten larger. I have attached the photo for your reference.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query and saw your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, you are right. It does appear to be a ringworm infection of the scalp called as tinea capitis.

• I suggest that you have a culture of the skin scrapings or microbiological study done of the skin scrapings to find out what antifungal therapy would the organisms be sensitive to. You might need to visit your local doctor there for this procedure.
  • Only after that, we can start systemic oral antifungal treatments as topical therapy would not be effective in this condition.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

Does drug absorption get reduced after a gallbladder removal surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, Can drug absorption be decreased due to gallbladder removal? I take Griseofulvin for a persistent tinea capitis. I was advised to take it with a fatty meal to enhance the absorption of the drug. My gallbladder was removed five months ago. Is it possible that due to this situation, the ...  Read Full »

The Manifestation of Ringworm Infection and Its Treatment

Article Overview: I would like to ward off the most common misunderstanding among many people and that is ringworm is not an infection caused by any worm. Ringworm lesions are the most common and also one of the cosmetically annoying fungal lesions. To get to know the ringworm well, we need to go through the basics of it. Read Article

Dr. Narendra

Ringworm is a fungal infection, which is called tinea in medical terms. Ringworm, as the name suggests, is the name derived from the pattern of the lesion that develops in this disease. There is a ring-like lesion at one or more sites over the body. The sites could be anywhere in the body like scalp...  Read Article

Is it safe to apply antifungal cream on the tip of penis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been itching on my tip of the penis, which also becomes red due to itch. Is it safe to apply any antifungal cream on the tip of the penis? Please suggest some good antifungal cream.  Read Full »

Ask a Family Physician Now