Q. From the photo, please confirm if my son has ringworm infection.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

Hi doctor,m

I believe that my 6 year old son has ringworm infection. It started out small and then within a few days has gotten larger. I have attached the photo for your reference.

#

I just read your query and saw your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Yes, you are right. It does appear to be a ringworm infection of the scalp called as tinea capitis.

• I suggest that you have a culture of the skin scrapings or microbiological study done of the skin scrapings to find out what antifungal therapy would the organisms be sensitive to. You might need to visit your local doctor there for this procedure.
  • Only after that, we can start systemic oral antifungal treatments as topical therapy would not be effective in this condition.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|