Q. I have recurrence of ringworm infection even after taking medicines. Please suggest an effective treatment.

Dr. Shama Naaz

In the spring I was diagnosed with ringworm on my right inner upper thigh. I had treated the ringworm for several weeks over the counter and ended up having to be put on Ketoconazole for 4 weeks to cure it. It cleared up before seven months. I developed another patch on my outer upper left thigh in five months.

I refilled my Ketoconazole prescription and treated the patch for 8 weeks to no avail. A second patch began developing on my inner upper right thigh again. I made a appointment in which they put me on Diflucan 150mg and Ketoconazole for another 2 weeks. It did not work. I went to the doctor and was told it may be Pytiriasis Rosea. They gave me an additional 2 weeks of Diflucan 200mg and a Selenium Sulfide 2.5 lotion to use. I am nearly done with that treatment (12weeks of treatment overall) and my patches are starting to fade but this morning I woke up to lots of little red circles on my inner thighs/knees. I have no other symptoms only minor occasional itching.

#

welcome to icliniq,

Ringworm and Pityriasis rosea both presents with red scaly round patches over skin. There is a test for getting confirmed diagnosis by mycological examination (KOH test) of the skin scrapings. Once your diagnosis is confirmed,then with specific treatment you can get cured properly. If the diagnosis is fungal infection oral antifungals along with creams are effective. If it is P. rosea, then it will go away after some time on its own and only mild steroid and oral antibiotics are required. So if you are getting new lesions its either because your current medication is not working for you, or the diagnosis is not correct.

Mycological examination of skin scrapings

Tinea cruris, allergic contact dermatitis, candidiasis

After reports

|