Q. I have recurrence of ringworm infection even after taking medicines. Please suggest an effective treatment.

Dr. Shama Naaz

In the spring I was diagnosed with ringworm on my right inner upper thigh. I had treated the ringworm for several weeks over the counter and ended up having to be put on Ketoconazole for 4 weeks to cure it. It cleared up before seven months. I developed another patch on my outer upper left thigh in five months.

I refilled my Ketoconazole prescription and treated the patch for 8 weeks to no avail. A second patch began developing on my inner upper right thigh again. I made a appointment in which they put me on Diflucan 150mg and Ketoconazole for another 2 weeks. It did not work. I went to the doctor and was told it may be Pytiriasis Rosea. They gave me an additional 2 weeks of Diflucan 200mg and a Selenium Sulfide 2.5 lotion to use. I am nearly done with that treatment (12weeks of treatment overall) and my patches are starting to fade but this morning I woke up to lots of little red circles on my inner thighs/knees. I have no other symptoms only minor occasional itching.

#

welcome to icliniq,

Ringworm and Pityriasis rosea both presents with red scaly round patches over skin. There is a test for getting confirmed diagnosis by mycological examination (KOH test) of the skin scrapings. Once your diagnosis is confirmed,then with specific treatment you can get cured properly. If the diagnosis is fungal infection oral antifungals along with creams are effective. If it is P. rosea, then it will go away after some time on its own and only mild steroid and oral antibiotics are required. So if you are getting new lesions its either because your current medication is not working for you, or the diagnosis is not correct.

Mycological examination of skin scrapings

Tinea cruris, allergic contact dermatitis, candidiasis

After reports

| 

What would be the result of CBC and PBS tests in a patient with pityriasis rosea?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had my blood tested and it turned out that I have WBC at 16000. I have no fever, a cold or a cough. Although I have rashes and I suspect this is pityriasis rosea. My doctor is not aware of my suspicion. Now he wanted me to undergo CBC and peripheral blood smear. If I really...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for candidal balanitis.

Query: Hi, I am suffering from balanitis since last month. I am using an antifungal cream (candid B) to avoid it. Till the time I use antifungal cream all rashes/infection disapper, but once I stop applying the cream all symptoms start again.  Sympoms are: Red skin around head of penis and itchiness aft...  Read Full »

The Manifestation of Ringworm Infection and Its Treatment

Article Overview: I would like to ward off the most common misunderstanding among many people and that is ringworm is not an infection caused by any worm. Ringworm lesions are the most common and also one of the cosmetically annoying fungal lesions. To get to know the ringworm well, we need to go through the basics of it. Read Article

Dr. Narendra

Ringworm is a fungal infection, which is called tinea in medical terms. Ringworm, as the name suggests, is the name derived from the pattern of the lesion that develops in this disease. There is a ring-like lesion at one or more sites over the body. The sites could be anywhere in the body like scalp...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»