Q. Pain is not subsiding after root canal treatment. What to do?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Three weeks ago, I had my root canal treatment done. Pain is not subsiding. Please advise. I have enclosed latest x-ray for your reference.

#

• Your root canal treatment has become failure and is evident in the radiograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • The material is extending below the root into bone, so the pain will persist or increase.
  • You should get back to your doctor for further physical evaluation.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Dentist has given me Seradic-P tablet for 5 days. He said my x-ray is fine and pain will go by next week. If the pain get relieved, then he will cut the tooth for crown placement. Should I get the tooth cut? Or ask him to do root canal again? Please suggest.

#

• Do not get a crown placed over the tooth without doing re-root canal treatment. If the pain goes as he says, then wait for six months at least.
  • Then take one more x-ray before placing a crown over it.
  • If pain persists ask him to do re-root canal treatment, else you will need to extract that tooth.

For further doubt consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|