Q. I have extreme pain in the root canal treated tooth. Will I lose my tooth?

Dr. Subha
Published on Aug 02, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 13, 2018

In root canal treatment, even after temporary filling, pain is still present. If something touches the tooth, there is extreme pain. Is it normal or do I need to get the tooth removed?

Dr. Subha

Dentistry
#

Root canal treatment involves three main steps namely:

1. Access opening (opening of the root canal).
  2. Biomechanical preparation (cleaning and shaping the canal).
  3. Obturation (filling the canal).

Temporary filling which you mean is just the superficial one. Pain may persist after the first two steps and before completion of the third step.

The pain might be due to:

• Presence of pulp tissue remnants inside the canal due to improper cleaning.
  • Infection around the tooth apex.
  • Accidental biting on hard food substance.

The above-mentioned pain will disappear soon after the third step, once the remnants are removed and the infection subsides.

As of now, do not bite on any hard food substance with the treated tooth.

In case the pain remains even after the root canal filling is done, then re-root canal treatment might be needed after seeing the x-ray.

There are various methods to save the tooth and hence you may not require extraction of the tooth.

For follow up, kindly attach pictures of the treated tooth and also the pre and postoperative x-rays and consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full

Root Canal Treatment

Article Overview: Root Canal Treatment is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extending beyond the apex of the root of the tooth, infecting the surrounding peri-radicular tissues, and also in some other cases. Read Article

The most common complaint that the patients come up with to a dentist is toothache and the frequently heard term by them is root canal treatment. It is a simple chairside procedure done to save the tooth that has been affected by caries severely, infecting the pulp of the tooth, and sometimes extend...  Read Article