Q. After RCT treatment, how did the infection get spread to the jaw?

Dr. Tinu Thampy
Published on Mar 05, 2017

I had a root canal by a general dentist. I was told that the tooth was infected and going through with the procedure would be my best. I consented and had my treatment. I was done with the treatment and came home with full of instructions given to me. I had Penicillin and Ibuprofen for every six hours. Initially, it was fine, but I awake the next day with more pain and swollen face. When I called up my dentist, he said that he has to remove the cap and the tooth as the infection got spread to the jaw. Apparently, the infection was already in the jaw, and he did not tell me that. If so, then I would have opted for extraction. I am aware that the root of all the teeth are curved and have been told that it may make the procedure a bit difficult. I understand that being neglectful has its price. I have attached the x-ray here for better management. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Dr. Tinu Thampy

Dentistry Maxillofacial Prosthodontist Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery Oral Implantologist
#

• As per the radiograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your tooth infection had extended beyond the root apex and entered the underlying bone, and it becomes a periapical abscess. The tooth roots are much flared also.
  • Root canal treatment is a conservative approach to save the natural tooth by removing the infected tissue within the pulp chamber and root canal.
  • Some teeth may have additional root canals than usual. So, there may be chances to miss any canals during root canal treatment. For example in lower molars usually three canals are there, but in some patients, the same tooth may have up to five canals.
  • In some cases, the apex of the root canal may be very narrow, calcified and curved. So, the orientation of the instrument may deviate from the exact root canal curvature and take another path. Hence, a part of the swellings will be untreated or not cleared from infected tissue. Initially, it can subside with antibiotics, but later infection can be exaggerated after stopping antibiotics.
  • One more reason for secondary infection is the infected tissue that can be pushed beyond the apex during the procedure. It can also cause a secondary infection.
  • If swelling of the face is more, then better get the extraction followed by incision and drainage of the abscess done by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.

For further information consult an endodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endodontist

I have an abscessed tooth with swollen face. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have an abscessed tooth and have been on antibiotics for three days. I woke up this morning with an extremely swollen face, should I go to the ER?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I can understand your concern about your toothache and facial swelling. You need IV (intravenous) route antibiotics like Ceftriaxone one gram after allergic test and for that, you must visit either a dentist or an emergency room. Af...  Read Full

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full

Ask an Endodontist Now