Q. Why did my dentist advise root canal treatment for cavities and what is it?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I have had cavities in my last molar teeth, and the doctor had advised root canal treatment. I have had dental anxiety since childhood, as my experiences were unpleasant. Even though I have many questions in my mind, I cannot ask anything in the clinic. What is a root canal procedure, and why is it recommended? What is the success rate? Does it cause any pain? Kindly help.

#

I read your query and understand your concern. Root canal treatment means that rather than extracting the whole tooth, we save the tooth's structure by micro-cleaning inside the roots of the infected tooth. Then the cleaned root is filled with a medicated filling material, and the top crown of the tooth is also restored. Finally, a cap is put over it to prevent further breakage. It has about a 95 percent success rate and is done under local anesthesia, so you should not feel anything other than the first needle prick in one or two appointments.

|