Q. Can root canal treatment help reduce swelling around infected teeth?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Aug 11, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2019

I have placed caps in my two teeth. Now, I got swelling around the teeth. X-ray has been taken. The doctor told me that there is some infection in the teeth, so it needs a root canal to be done. I do not have any pain in the teeth. I have only swelling in the teeth. Please suggest what to do?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

Pain will come back after a few days if the root canal treatment is not done for the infected teeth. It is better to do a root canal treatment in the teeth as soon as possible as the pain can become unbearable. Such swelling come due to nerves that get rotten inside the teeth due to various reasons like putting a cap over it. You will need antibiotics and painkillers.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »