Q. Should I get my crooked teeth aligned even after being warned about tooth proximity?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I am scheduled to get my braces removed next week, and I noticed that the tooth between my right canine and incisor is crooked. I spoke to my orthodontist, he said that the tooth was worn and moving it would cause the roots to touch, and if it bothers me, he could try and move it but would not recommend it. I am concerned about the uneven look, but I do not want to damage my roots. I can provide pictures if necessary. Please guide me with my decision considering the problems associated with roots proximity.

#

Without pictures, it is quite challenging to assess your situation thoroughly. Based on the details provided, if root proximity occurs on correction, it is better not to correct it. Bone health is more important than looks. If root proximity occurs, it could lead to root resorption, which will cause damage to the root ends of both the teeth, causing pain and requiring RCT (root canal treatment) in the longer run.

Please share pictures and current OPG (orthopantomogram), if possible, for better assessment.

Thank you for the reply.

I am also concerned about the black triangle in the upper corner of the tooth, and the tooth looks very crooked.

#

1)Looking at the photographs shared (attachment removed to protect patient's privacy), although the tooth is crooked, it would not affect aesthetics much compared to potential root damages it might do.

2) I would suggest not to go for orthodontic correction; instead, opt for aesthetic correction by composite or veneer or crown if it bothers you. However, get your braces removed, follow up your treatment with proper wearing of retainers and post-treatment instructions.

3)You can decide after observing for a month or two, and also, you will be able to receive other people's views on how they perceive and will help you decide.

Feel free to get all your doubts cleared.

|