Q. Is it true if Rosuvastatin, once started, has to be continued throughout life?

Dr. Ahmad Mustafa

I am a 42-year-old male with a height of 5.8 feet and a weight of 137 lbs. I have high cholesterol level of about 2237 mg/dL, LDL value of 170 mg/dL, HbA1c - 5.9 %, and bilirubin - 1.5 mg/dL. I have a family history of heart disease. My father died of a heart attack 22 years ago. I consulted a cardiologist a month ago, and he prescribed tablet Rosuvastatin 10 mg. But another doctor whom I consulted said tablet Rosuvastatin 10 mg is not good for me as if once started, and I have to continue with it for the rest of my life. It can also have other side effects since I belong to the oriental region and am prediabetic. I need a second opinion on whether to stop or reduce the dose. Thanks.

#

Since you are prediabetic, you need strict control of your cholesterol level. I would suggest restarting tablet Rosuvastatin 10 mg for at least one month, as it will lower down your cholesterol level.

For further follow-ups, do laboratory tests and consult your doctor.

I have to know if I can stop taking Statins in one month after I get good results?

#

It would be better to taper the dose to 5 mg per day for one month and then stop taking it if your cholesterol levels become normal.

|