Q. Why do my total cholesterol and triglycerides level keep fluctuating?

Dr. Manish N Garg
Published on May 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My recent lipid profile showed borderline cholesterol and triglycerides. My total cholesterol is 207 and triglycerides are 324. From the past seven years, my cholesterol is fluctuating. The cholesterol keeps fluctuating around 200 and triglycerides between 180 to 300. My echocardiogram and TMT came back normal last year. My cardiologist told me to take Rosuvastatin 20 mg, once a day for 30 days. Should I take this medicine? For my condition, do I need to take statins or only diet control will be helpful? My troponin and homocysteine levels were normal.

Dr. Manish N Garg

Cardiology Cardiothoracic Surgery
#

• You should continue taking Rosuvastatin.
  • I suggest adding Fenofibrate 160 mg daily. It will help in improving the lipid profile. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for replying. Is there any side effects of Rosuvastatin? Can I get addicted to it? I am presently taking B Citam and Clonazepam for mild vertigo. My only concern is that Rosuvastatin will have to be taken lifelong. Is it true?

Dr. Manish N Garg

Cardiology Cardiothoracic Surgery
#

• Rosuvastatin has very few side effects and most of them are nonspecific. So, do not be concerned.
  • As far as duration is concerned, once your lipid profile is in check and stays that way, the dose can be decreased and eventually you can be completely off the Rosuvastatin.

Hope this answers your concern.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

What diet can be followed to help lower cholesterol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a high borderline cholesterol. Can you suggest me a diet chart? I have attached reports herewith.  Read Full »

There is a separation noise under earlobe while filling mouth with air. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have this strange feeling behind my jaw on the left side just under my earlobe. When I fill my mouth with air to increase the pressure, the area that is irritated fills with air and makes a strange separation noise. It sounds like pulling apart wax and hair and I can feel the air in...  Read Full »

Why am I having raised cholesterol levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a full blood count done and would like a second opinion on the results. It was my cholesterol which surprised me. I have never suffered from high cholesterol but over the past three years, it has kept up and recent tests showed serum cholesterol 7 mmol/L/HDL, 1.25 mmol/L/L...  Read Full »