Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Why do my total cholesterol and triglycerides level keep fluctuating?

Answered by
Dr. Manish N Garg
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hello doctor,

My recent lipid profile showed borderline cholesterol and triglycerides. My total cholesterol is 207 and triglycerides are 324. From the past seven years, my cholesterol is fluctuating. The cholesterol keeps fluctuating around 200 and triglycerides between 180 to 300. My echocardiogram and TMT came back normal last year. My cardiologist told me to take Rosuvastatin 20 mg, once a day for 30 days. Should I take this medicine? For my condition, do I need to take statins or only diet control will be helpful? My troponin and homocysteine levels were normal.

Dr. Manish N Garg

Cardiology Cardiothoracic Surgery


Welcome to

  • You should continue taking Rosuvastatin.
  • I suggest adding Fenofibrate 160 mg daily. It will help in improving the lipid profile. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent.

I hope this helps.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Hello doctor,

Thank you for replying. Is there any side effects of Rosuvastatin? Can I get addicted to it? I am presently taking B Citam and Clonazepam for mild vertigo. My only concern is that Rosuvastatin will have to be taken lifelong. Is it true?

Dr. Manish N Garg

Cardiology Cardiothoracic Surgery


Welcome back to

  • Rosuvastatin has very few side effects and most of them are nonspecific. So, do not be concerned.
  • As far as duration is concerned, once your lipid profile is in check and stays that way, the dose can be decreased and eventually you can be completely off the Rosuvastatin.

Hope this answers your concern.

For more information consult a cardiologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Please let me know, is there any health issue in my routine health checkup.
Do I need to take medicine for high cholesterol?
What can be done for sudden chest and back pain?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

What diet can be followed to help lower cholesterol?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a high borderline cholesterol. Can you suggest me a diet chart? I have attached reports herewith.  Read Full »

There is a separation noise under earlobe while filling mouth with air. What is it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have this strange feeling behind my jaw on the left side just under my earlobe. When I fill my mouth with air to increase the pressure, the area that is irritated fills with air and makes a strange separation noise. It sounds like pulling apart wax and hair and I can feel the air in...  Read Full »

Why am I having raised cholesterol levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently had a full blood count done and would like a second opinion on the results. It was my cholesterol which surprised me. I have never suffered from high cholesterol but over the past three years, it has kept up and recent tests showed serum cholesterol 7 mmol/L/HDL, 1.25 mmol/L/L...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.