Q. How common is rubella during pregnancy?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am 29 years old, height 163 cms, weight 55 kgs and 7 weeks pregnant. I had symptoms like cold, sore throat, runny nose, fatigue, and body ache for two days. I do have low immunity to rubella. I work with sick children, so should I be concerned?

#

I understand your concern.

Could you please tell me if you have taken an MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccine or just a rubella vaccine before conceiving? If yes, when was it?

If you are vaccinated, you do not have to be concerned.

It is better to avoid exposure to sick kids.

For your cold-like symptoms, Kindly take the following symptomatic treatment;

1. Stay safe and take rest.

2. Gargle with warm saline.

3. Do steam inhalation.

4. Take tablet Paracetamol 650 mg only if you have fever.

5. For antibiotics, kindly consult your gynecologist.

Thank you for the reply.

I think I was vaccinated when I was young. But I am not vaccinated during adulthood. When I did blood test screening during pregnancy, my doctor told me that I had a weak immune system and was more prone to rubella.

#

I understand your concern.

Since you are not vaccinated in recent days, it is better to avoid exposure to infected people, especially during your first trimester (up to 14 weeks).

Rubella vaccination is contraindicated during pregnancy.

Consult your gynecologist for antibiotics.

Could you please send me your blood reports?

|