Q. I got tested for rubella thrice and received different results. What can be done now?

Dr. Kks
Published on Oct 14, 2018

I am a 32-year-old female. Recently, I got tested for rubella. I checked it in three places, and they showed different results. I am testing it as I am willing to get conceived. My first test result showed IgG of 6, and the other result showed IgG of 5. All the three results showed a negative IgM. When I was 11 years old, I got a vaccination for rubella twice. Please suggest.

Dr. Kks

General Medicine Hematology Internal Medicine
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As per the laboratory reports, one thing is clear that you are not immune to rubella as the titers of IgG are below the required level. You are in a safer zone as you have appropriately vaccinated in childhood. In rare cases, due to numerous reasons, we do not develop complete immunity. Do not plan for pregnancy now. Get re-vaccinated again, check the titers and then think about conceiving.

Will my high Rubella IgG and CMV IgG values affect my pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a TORCH test after 12 weeks of pregnancy. It showed Rubella IgG and CMV IgG to be high, but the Rubella IgM and the CMV IgM were normal. Please advice.  Read Full »

Myths and Facts About Vaccination

Article Overview: Every day, researchers discover new vaccines with better efficacy, and on the other hand, some people just choose to spread their wrong beliefs about vaccination. It results in increasing number of VPDs, that is, vaccine preventable diseases, in the world. It is long enough that someone addresses this issue. Read Article

Dr. Vishnu K R
Preventive Medicine Physician

Most of the patients that I treat ask this question about vaccination, 'How can an injected pathogen cure a disease?' I am not surprised by this question because I asked the same question to my mom when I was young. As a responsible medical practitioner, I should explain the science behind this to p...  Read Article

If rubella IgG is positive, am I at the risk of TORCH infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 4 months pregnant. I had a TORCH test before two years as I met with miscarriage. The TORCH results were rubella IgG positive 19.56, rubella IgM non-reactive, CMV IgG reactive (738.65) and CMV IgM antibody non-reactive. I want to know whether I am at the risk of TORCH infection? Am ...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now