Q. Can Zyrtec be given to help cure running nose and nasal congestion in a kid?

My 3-year-old son weighing 19 kg seems to develop running nose along with nasal congestion today afternoon. He also seems to have some amount of breathing difficulty today while sleeping, although he does not have any background in asthma.

I have some questions:

• I have given him Zyrtec (Cetirizine) syrup 3.5 mL today late evening, which probably makes him feel a little better. Also, I am planning to give the same twice daily for tomorrow and day after unless something else comes up. Is this a correct medicine? Is the dosage 3.5 mL BD correct for his age and weight?
  • We have a nasoclear nasal spray, however, he is extremely reluctant in taking it. Is there anything else we could do for his nasal congestion? Also, usually he develops some amount of throat pain the next day. Is something like 5 mL of 'Ibugesic Plus' or 'Calpol 250' fine for that?
  • Is it fine to give him curd, fruit juice (orange, pomegranate) or fruits (apple, banana) during his sickness?Please advise if any of the above is not recommended.
  • Since the last few days, he used to sleep a little in the late afternoon. He wakes up late and as a result, takes fruit juice (orange) and fruits like banana little late in the evening. Is this a probable cause ofsickness?
  • He has taken his flu vaccine appointment in two days. Given he is sick and in case it continues for a couple of days, will it be appropriate to give the vaccine?
  • What is the preferred time for the flu vaccine? Should we give flu vaccine now or wait for some more time?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
MBBS., M.D PEDIATRICS
Paediatrics

The dose of Cetirizine is fine and you can give it for two days more and see. If there is no improvement then kindly do a physical examination.

Nasoclear nasal spray can be easily used in form of spray be inserting the tip into the nostril and pressing it. The child can be taught to do himself.

Giving plain steam can be an alternate option.

Calpol (Paracetamol) can be given if there is throat pain or fever. Ibugesic plus (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) syrup can be used for high fever. Salt water gargling will help with throat pain. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the above medicines.

Fresh fruit juices which are at room temperature can be given any time.

Giving curd depends if that triggers cold in him when given.

It is better to avoid flu vaccination for now. You can plan it after one week.

This time of the year is fine to take flu vaccination. Generally, it is recommended to take in in the latter months of the year. There have been major outbreaks even during summer. Hence it is better to protect your child.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My 11-month-old daughter weighs 8.5 kg. Is she underweight? If yes, what should be done? She currently takes three meals and one snack, in addition, to breastfeed. Please advise if anything needs to be rectified. She has:

• Tinned baby foods.
  • Rice with dal and vegetables and fish and chicken.
  • Fruits like apple, banana, orange, and raisins.
  • Chapati along with fish.

Dr. Preeti Puranik
MBBS., M.D PEDIATRICS
Paediatrics

Her weight is fine. Her intake too is fine.

You can give her all cereals, all pulses, all fruits and mashable vegetables in the consistency she can eat.

The restricted foods are eggs, nonvegetarian, and nuts.

Why does running nose, sneezing and blocked nose happen?
Query: Hi doctor, I have bad running nose, sneezing and blocked nose in the morning for the last ten days. I have taken Augmentin 375 for five days. It improved a bit but again relapsed today. Please help.  Read Full »
Dr. Pooja Pardhi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern. Running nose can be due to upper respiratory tract infection. You can take tablet Allegra M (combination of Montelukast and Fexofenadine) twice daily for about three days. Warm water gargles with salt...  Read Full »

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?
Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached report, along with the data you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother has COPD which is a chronic obstructive lung disease due to changes in the lung with age and due to smoking. In COPD the air is entrapped ins...  Read Full »

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?
Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full »
Dr. Kartik Sood
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your symptoms, you are suffering from bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis, but you need to confirm this by doing a spirometry with reversibility test. Asthma is a disease related to hypersensitivity of our respiratory system to some allergens which cause tri...  Read Full »

How can running nose be effectively treated?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from a running nose for the last one week and sometimes it is very difficult to breathe especially after taking food, it is becoming worse. I had taken two Coldact tablets for only one day, but no luck and also have been using the Otrivin (Xylometazoline) nasal s...  Read Full »
Dr. Lokesh Sharoff

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is upper respiratory tract infection, You need to take the following tablets: Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg two times a day times five days after food, tablet Deslor (Desloratadine) one a day times five days after food, tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg two times a day times...  Read Full »

Paracetamol in Pregnancies
Query: Hi doctor,My wife is suffering from severe cold, headache and throat pain. Can she take Paracetamol, antibiotics, and Cetirizine? We are planning for pregnancy, using medicine for it. This is her 12th day after the period.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your wife is having sore throat problem and cause is acute pharyngitis case. You can give her Levocetirizine 5 mg OD for five days. For throat pain, Paracetamol 500 mg SOS can be prescribed. Also, give her vitamin C 500 mg tablet BD for five days. Drink more water. A...  Read Full »

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever
Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full »
Dr. Geethu Thomas
Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You mentioned that you have the fever. You can use Paracetamol. You can take it up to three times a day and can stop if your temperature comes down. Now, coming to Cetirizine, it is used for allergy, cold, etc. If you are having a flu type of fever, that is, fever with...  Read Full »

Placenta Previa and Low-Lying Placenta
What Are the Alternatives to Wearing Glasses?
Smart Ways to Lose Weight

Also Read Answers From