Q. Can Zyrtec be given to help cure running nose and nasal congestion in a kid?

My 3-year-old son weighing 19 kg seems to develop running nose along with nasal congestion today afternoon. He also seems to have some amount of breathing difficulty today while sleeping, although he does not have any background in asthma.

I have some questions:

• I have given him Zyrtec (Cetirizine) syrup 3.5 mL today late evening, which probably makes him feel a little better. Also, I am planning to give the same twice daily for tomorrow and day after unless something else comes up. Is this a correct medicine? Is the dosage 3.5 mL BD correct for his age and weight?
  • We have a nasoclear nasal spray, however, he is extremely reluctant in taking it. Is there anything else we could do for his nasal congestion? Also, usually he develops some amount of throat pain the next day. Is something like 5 mL of 'Ibugesic Plus' or 'Calpol 250' fine for that?
  • Is it fine to give him curd, fruit juice (orange, pomegranate) or fruits (apple, banana) during his sickness?Please advise if any of the above is not recommended.
  • Since the last few days, he used to sleep a little in the late afternoon. He wakes up late and as a result, takes fruit juice (orange) and fruits like banana little late in the evening. Is this a probable cause ofsickness?
  • He has taken his flu vaccine appointment in two days. Given he is sick and in case it continues for a couple of days, will it be appropriate to give the vaccine?
  • What is the preferred time for the flu vaccine? Should we give flu vaccine now or wait for some more time?

Dr.Preeti Puranik
MBBS., M.D PEDIATRICS
Paediatrics

The dose of Cetirizine is fine and you can give it for two days more and see. If there is no improvement then kindly do a physical examination.

Nasoclear nasal spray can be easily used in form of spray be inserting the tip into the nostril and pressing it. The child can be taught to do himself.

Giving plain steam can be an alternate option.

Calpol (Paracetamol) can be given if there is throat pain or fever. Ibugesic plus (Ibuprofen and Paracetamol) syrup can be used for high fever. Salt water gargling will help with throat pain. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the above medicines.

Fresh fruit juices which are at room temperature can be given any time.

Giving curd depends if that triggers cold in him when given.

It is better to avoid flu vaccination for now. You can plan it after one week.

This time of the year is fine to take flu vaccination. Generally, it is recommended to take in in the latter months of the year. There have been major outbreaks even during summer. Hence it is better to protect your child.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

My 11-month-old daughter weighs 8.5 kg. Is she underweight? If yes, what should be done? She currently takes three meals and one snack, in addition, to breastfeed. Please advise if anything needs to be rectified. She has:

• Tinned baby foods.
  • Rice with dal and vegetables and fish and chicken.
  • Fruits like apple, banana, orange, and raisins.
  • Chapati along with fish.

Dr.Preeti Puranik
MBBS., M.D PEDIATRICS
Paediatrics

Her weight is fine. Her intake too is fine.

You can give her all cereals, all pulses, all fruits and mashable vegetables in the consistency she can eat.

The restricted foods are eggs, nonvegetarian, and nuts.

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Also Read Answers From

Ask a Paediatrician »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.