Q. Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Dr. Kartik Sood
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 04, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But since last one month, frequency and magnitude both have increased. Yesterday, for no possible reason known to me, it got triggered.

My query is can such allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma? I want to avoid any long-term course until extremely important. What is my option to tackle or control and reduce above symptoms, with mostly home remedies, diet control exercise and minimum synthetic medicines? Nose bleeding in childhood, frequent nasal blockage till the age of 21.

Dr. Kartik Sood

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

As per your symptoms, you are suffering from bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis, but you need to confirm this by doing a spirometry with reversibility test.

Asthma is a disease related to hypersensitivity of our respiratory system to some allergens which cause triggering, inflammation in the respiratory mucosa. Undoubtedly you need to take medications else symptoms will get worse as your age advances. So visit a chest physician. I am a practicing chest specialist so I know the pros and cons of the disease.

See this asthma is a genetic disease acquired during childhood, and any genetic disease means in genes and currently we in our medical field we are under research for a permanent cure like answers in this genetic diseases field, so my opinion would be visiting a pulmonologist or a chest physician for proper work up and guidance. Chest physician can do a spirometry and total serum IgE levels and as per your need will prescribe you some inhaled medications like long-acting beta 2 agonists and inhaled corticosteroids and maybe some oral steroids as per need which can help you with minimum side effects. Maybe you will need those medications for some duration like three months a year at maybe long or on changing seasons.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|