Q. Node in the salivary gland at the floor of the mouth is getting bigger. Is it mouth cancer?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

I got a node in the salivary gland in tthe floor of the mouth for the past four months. Now it does not hurt me. I took Amoxicillin 500 mg twice a day for a week but it does not go away. When I wake up in the morning, I touch the node by tongue but I do not feel anything. But then after a day time, it is getting bigger. Last time doctor cannot see that in the x-ray taken, but I can feel it by the tongue. It hurt while I am chewing, and turning around the neck. Some times I have swelling in the face. I am having body ache all over the body now. My blood work and calcium are fine, but my cholesterol is a little high.

My questions are, is this mouth cancer or throat cancer? Why it is not going back to its original size? Is this lymphoma?

#

It might be some salivary gland obstruction on the floor of the mouth. When the saliva cannot flow out of the gland, it causes pain and swelling. You need to show it to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, he will be able to diagnose it.

By the way you describe it, it is definitely not cancer. Usually, these kind of problem occurs when we have salivary stones inside the duct of the salivary gland causing accumulation of salivary fluid. If you could see it inside the mouth take a picture and send to me so that I can better diagnose it or show it to the OMFS surgeon as soon as possible. He will remove the stones with a simple surgical procedure.

|