Q. Is it true that schizophrenia runs in family?

Dr. Deep Dutta
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 02, 2020

My boyfriend's father has schizophrenia. What are the odds that my boyfriend or my future child would get the disorder? Is it risky to marry him? Please help. I am confused.

#

Schizophrenia is a complex psychiatric disorder and sometimes tend to run in families.

However, it does not imply it is a monogenic disorder, where the inheritance rate of disease is higher and more easily predictable.

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support your doubt that whether marrying your boyfriend will increase the risk of schizophrenia in your to be child very significant. So, let us not get too worried.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|