Q. Accidentally, I scratched the inner part of the eye. How long will it take to heal?

Dr. Shikha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 26, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 14, 2020

Last night, I was trying to pluck an eyelash that was poking into my eye, and accidentally scratched the most inner part of my eye. I believe it is called the lacrimal caruncle. There is a tiny scrape. It almost looks like a red scratch on the skin and so I know I scratched it a little. I have included a picture to show you what part of the eye it is. How long will it take to heal? Also, is there anything I can put in my eye to speed the recovery?

#

• Yes, there are two eyelashes touching your white part of eye known as sclera. One medially and one laterally from upper lid. This is not normal.
  • Did you get any eye infection in the past? Is it recurrent? How long have you been doing it that is the removal of eyelash?
  • The part you have got injured has got a very good blood supply so it should get healed within three to four days.
  • I suggest you use an antibiotic eye drop like Ciplox (Ciprofloxacin) on four times a day basis for at least a week. And, use lubricant eye ointment during sleep hours.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

My eyes are paining as I slept with contact lenses. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I am using contact lenses daily. But yesterday, I slept with it in my eyes. When I woke up, my eyes were red and itching. It is painful, and water is coming out continuously from my eyes. Please help.  Read Full »

I have frequent and recurring stye problem.Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I have frequent and recurring stye problem. Please advise.  Read Full »

I accidentally got eucalyptus oil in my eye. Is there anything I should do?

Query: Hi doctor, I got eucalyptus oil in my eye by accident while trying to open a bottle of the same. I tried flushing my eye with water which then I read on the internet not to use water. I then tapped olive oil around my eye as suggested on the Internet. My eye stung so much with the water but then it...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»