iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOrthopedician and TraumatologyscoliosisI am pregnant and have scoliosis. Is vaginal birth possible?

Can a pregnant woman with scoliosis give birth vaginally?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 16, 2024
Reviewed AtMay 16, 2024

Patient's Query

I am 26 weeks pregnant and will give birth in a few months. Yesterday I told my gynecologist that I have scoliosis and asked if this could cause me any problems for a vaginal delivery. She said that if I do not have any recent X-rays, nobody will be able to answer this question because I cannot do X-rays right now, and even if an orthopedic doctor should see me now, my back is all changed now anyway due to the pregnancy. I had my last X-ray 10 years ago, and I believe my scoliosis condition has remained stable.

So, I wanted to ask if scoliosis is a problem for a natural birth or not. Mine is around 30 degrees and not operated because it was not severe enough to be operated on and cured during my teenage years with scoliosis braces.

Also, the gynecologist told me that the baby is growing bigger than it should (I am like two weeks ahead for its weight), so if the baby turns out to be big or more than 7.7 pounds, will the situation of scoliosis or vaginal birth be even more complicated or will the weight not affect the birth?

Please help,

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Anuj Gupta

I have read your query, and I can understand your concern.

I can assure you that scoliosis is not going to affect your vaginal delivery. If possible, send me your old X-ray, then I can assess your pelvis and give you a better answer.

I hope this will help you.

Patient's Query

Thanks for the reply.

Please see the two attached X-ray scans (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity):

Spine with scoliotic "S" deviation: right-convex of the dorsal and left-convex of the lumbar region. Physiological curvatures are normal and rotation of the pelvis is clockwise because of limb asymmetry, with the acetabular roof profiles differing by about six millimeters.

Please advise in regards to the birth, and please also let me know if it seems like severe, moderate, or light scoliosis.

Answered by Dr. Anuj Gupta

There is nothing like mild or moderate scoliosis. There is severe scoliosis when the angle is more than 90 degrees, which you do not have. In my opinion, this curve will have no direct impact on your pregnancy.

I hope this will help you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Anuj Gupta
Dr. Anuj Gupta

Spine Surgery

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthopedician and Traumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy