Q. I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis. Can you tell how bad the curvature is?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 24, 2021

I am a 30 year old male. I was diagnosed with minor scoliosis. I have attached my x-ray results. I would like to know how bad is that. I only get occasional pain after standing for too long or lifting heavy stuff. Can you tell how much the curvature is? Is this something I need to worry about? I am currently on physical therapy.

#

• Evaluation of scoliosis involves both CT scan to look for bony anatomy and MRI to rule out cord compression.
  • Please revert once the investigations have been done to get an appropriate management plan.

Revert with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

How much can you tell just by looking at the spine x-ray? I was told that it is minor scoliosis and need only physical therapy.

#

• From your x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears to be mild scoliosis, and the L5 vertebral body is not visible either due to collapse or developmental anomaly. To comment on L5, lateral view x-ray is required.
  • Secondly, since there is only one curvature with no secondary curvature or changes, a physical examination is required to evaluate whether the scoliosis is either permanent (fixed) or temporary (positional). This cannot be determined from the x-ray.
  • Treatment in case of no MRI abnormality with minimal changes in CT at the L5 level fixed scoliosis will be conservative only. If it is positional, then other factors causing scoliosis are to be evaluated and treated accordingly.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Hello Dr. Sumit,

Thanks for your prompt response. I have added some more xrays to the link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oekzmo73lxv9s46/AAANLYpVXTjuv2aUMYvNDMCYa?dl=0 Hope this helps in understanding the condition more. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your valuable input.
# Hello
Thank you attaching more xrays, you have mild scoliosis as mentioned in my previous answer.
L5 vertebra and SI Joint appear normal.
Physical examination is required to rule out extra spinal causes of scoliosis, and to see whether the scoliosis is fixed or positional. If it's positional then there are more chances of preventing the progression and early treatment.
Do you have any examination findings or other medical records with you? I cannot provide any further advice without more information about your condition.
Regards

|