Q. As I happen to see my semen quite concentrated, do I need to get a semen analysis test?

Dr. Keeranmayee Mishra

I am 28 years old male, and I got married two years ago. My wife and I have been trying to conceive for the last four months but still could not hit the mark. The menstrual cycle length of my wife is 28 days. We do not have any past medical history. Both of us are absolutely fit and fine. We are eating healthy and sleeping well. None of us is overweight nor indulge in any intoxication. We do not face any problems during intercourse. We are desperately exercising our efforts for the conception. Kindly help us.

#

I hope you and your family members are all safe. I understand your concern and will try to help as much as possible. You have been trying to conceive only for the last four months, and both are below 30 years, so there should be no room for anxiety now. You shall need no treatment till you have tried for at least one year without contraception and yet not conceived. So you have ample time before you seek medical treatment unless you have any known problems like decreased sperm count in males or irregular cycles in females.

I suggest you have regular intercourse between the tenth to the twentieth day of the cycle. The day that menstruation starts is day one. Avoid douching or cleaning genitals at least 30 minutes after intercourse. Please start the Folic acid tablet once daily for your wife till she conceives or at least three months of preconception. This prevents malformation in the baby. Eat healthily, exercise daily, and please enjoy the journey to parenthood. Anxiety will affect fertility, and in your case, as I already explained, there is presently no need for any treatment.

I hope this helps you.

Thanks for your help. As I have mentioned earlier, my wife and I are not having any issues during intercourse. May I please know the symptoms of low sperm count, as I happen to see my semen quite concentrated. Should I go for semen analysis test and does the size of the penis matter in the conception?

#

If the sperm count is low, one may have:

1) Less body hair around the armpits and genitals.

2) The patient may not be able to have a proper erection.

3) Sex drive can decrease.

4) There might be some swelling in the genital area.

As I get from your query, you did not mention having any such problem.

Thick semen usually results from a higher than average concentration of sperm in a typical volume of semen or from having an increased number of sperm with an irregular shape (morphology). There is no harm in getting a semen analysis done, or you can choose to wait and try, as I explained in my first reply. The size of the penis does matter, but that needs to be examined before anybody can give any conclusive opinion. If it concerns you, I suggest you get a semen analysis, have intercourse for two days, then abstinence for two to three days, and then give a sample for testing.

I hope this helps you.

|