Q. What is the cause for senile purpura?

Dr. G.s.s. Sandeep

I have a painless red spot which is about 4 mm in diameter on the top of the foot for about two months. I used various salves, which did not help me. I am taking tablet Warfarin and tablet Metoprolol.

#

From your description, it can be a purpuric patch. Your attachment is not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Get your blood tested for platelet count, APTT (activated partial thromboplastin time), PT (prothrombin time) tests as you are taking tablet Warfarin which is a blood thinner. If they are abnormal, report to a physician nearby you. If they are normal, start using Cetaphil dam moisturizer along with a vitamin C rich diet like citrus fruits.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I will resend the attachment. Do I need to monitor my platelet count monthly?

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is senile purpura. Due to the fragility of the skin in elders, mild trauma will precipitate the purpura. Prefer vitamin C rich diet and use Cetaphil dam moisturizer twice daily all over the foot. Get platelet count re-checked monthly.

|