Q. What can be done to manage sensitivity after tooth fracture?

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir

After I ate some food, I had a piece of chewy candy and felt a hole on one of my bottom right molars. I immediately spit the candy out, to find a piece of my tooth, and when I shone a flashlight into my mouth, I saw that a chunk of my molar was missing, on the area right next to my back molar. I am not sure if the chunk is a filling or an actual piece of my teeth, but the gaping hole looks pretty deep and there was a lot of sensitivity when I rinsed out my mouth with cool water. Should I be worried, and what can I do to minimize the sensitivity before I see my dentist?

#

I have read your query and it seems that the filling portion of the tooth is broken (attachment removed to protect patient identity). No need to worry as the tooth seems to be vital. Sensitivity is normal here because dentin of your tooth has been exposed due to broken piece. I would suggest to get this cavity filled soon as the delay would cause problems like food lodging and over time caries.

Atleast have a temporary filling done for time being. Sensitivity can be minimised by brushing with fluoride toothpastes. Take a fluoridated paste on your finger tip and massage it gently over the whole involved tooth, brush after 2 minutes with a regular toothpaste after that.

|