Q. Apart from extraction, what else can be done for a broken tooth with severe pain?

Dr. Parth Laxminarayan Iyer
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2021

I am having severe pain in one of my lower molar for a week, which is broken and is falling off in pieces. I do not want to get it removed due to fear of pain. What else can be done?

#

I am sorry for your complaint.

• Well, you have not stated for how long you have been experiencing the pain. Also, try to elaborate the nature of the tooth pain, for example, is it on and off type, persistent, etc.
  • Probable cause:
  1. Decay.
  2. Tooth fracture.
  • Probable diagnosis:
  1. Pulpitis.
  • Treatment plan:
  1. Extraction or RCT (root canal treatment).
  • Preventive measures:
  1. Avoid using that side while chewing, to prevent food lodgement.
  2. Gargle frequently to remove any deposits that might have settled inside the crown structure.

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|